Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a fan of audio books, but I'm finding many that only come in MP3 format on CD. My 2003 EX won't play MP3 format. So, what are my options?

1. Replace head unit with 2005+ ?
- maybe...current radio gets mediocre reception, if not crappy reception. Maybe a newer EX head unit will get improved reception and MP3 playback.

2. Is it as simple as upgrading firmware for the stock radio?
-maybe add MP3 with new programming?

3. Replace with aftermarket radio?
-would rather not. I like the stock look (sleeper) that has some punch.

4. Buy a MP3-format playing "walkman" and plug into the AUX input?
-this may be an acceptable "temp" solution....but my E-bins are fairly cluttered already.

5. Other??

Maybe I'm overthinking this...is there an obvious answer I'm overlooking? Like, "sell your 190k mile 2003 EX for a nice 2008 with built-in MP3 functionality"

Yeah....did I mention it's paid for? :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 'newby' answer is get your self a cheap mp3 player and use your aux input. Shoot I'm jealous you've got aux inputs, my LX does not.

Probably some folks with much much more E wisdom than I will offer some much better advice, but an mp3 will get you a lot of mileage and fairly cheaply too. Oh, and how about mp3 books online that you just download to your mp3 player (like audible.com). Our local library have some mp3 books available online as well.

I realize in your initial post you were specifically asking about mp3 playing head units. My advice predicates that you load those mp3s onto your computer from the disk then onto your mp3 player ready to listen to at your leisure.

Bear

·
Registered
389 Posts
i currently have an 05 ex stock headunit for sale in the for sale section. $100 w/free shipping. pretty easy solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts