Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Element EX-P Link

I am looking at the E above and wanted to get any opinions on the price or any other model specific information. I know the 2003's being the first year had a few potential problems with some of the engine sensors, specifically the Electronic Load Detector and the Front Air Fuel Ratio Sensor.

Any other information or opinion on price would be most welcome! I looked up the value on Edmunds.com and got $7600 for Dealer Retail...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
804 Posts
That Element looks pretty clean and has some good extras like fog lights,roof rack,running boards and storage armrest. It all looks OEM which is great as that costs some money.
Did someone put panels on it from an EX-P or are they aftermarket ? Has it been in an accident ? Not sure if EX-P's were made in 2003 but someone will chime in that knows more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That Element looks pretty clean and has some good extras like fog lights,roof rack,running boards and storage armrest. It all looks OEM which is great as that costs some money.
Did someone put panels on it from an EX-P or are they aftermarket ? Has it been in an accident ? Not sure if EX-P's were made in 2003 but someone will chime in that knows more.
I believe the panels are original...

I just noticed that there seems to be some damage to the front bumper on the drivers side between the grey bumper facia and the fog light... I will try to get more info on what caused that damage. I don't know if this dealer has the CarFax or not?

Another issue is a seam has split on the driver's seat. Not sure if that is easily repairable or if it would be easier to get a seat cover?

I'm going to go look at it tonight...

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm fairly certain the painted fender panels weren't available until later, positively not the first model year. That blemish you see on the front bumper might be the paint cracking off, another indication that the previous owner got the stock plastic fender painted aftermarket. I don't think that spot on the bumper is painted in any year, except for the SC model.

You should look out for chipping paint on all of the fenders, and be weary that it might chip more in the future. With that said, you might be able to use this information as a bargaining chip to get a much better price.

Those wheels do look surprisingly uncorroded for the year, although that might be the norm out there in Texas...

good luck!!!

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
The first year of the EX-P was 2006. Anything with painted panels before that was an owner mod. A true EX-P had the bumper garnishes and the grille surround in black not silver. In addition the lower section of the bumper was black but not painted.

See mine an an example.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Better luck next time

I decided to pass on this one. Too many small issues; smoked in, two minor accidents (2003 & 2006 both in NC where it was sold originally), paint issues on hood and passenger door, color (black gets very hot in TX), torn driver seat, rear seats seemed very worn and operated sloppily (not sure if that's design or wear), bumper/inner fender had been rubbing driver front tire while turning, some parts of a left over half removed alarm system w/ remnants hanging from the A pillar and sticking out from the dash by the windshield, slot cut in the dash for mounting satellite radio or GPS. None of these by themselves is really a deal breaker (except maybe smoking), there were just too many small issues. Oh and I'm pretty sure it had been broken into as there were scratches at the top back corner of the driver door jam, torn/punctured weather stripping, and the door rattled funny when closing due to what seemed like a very loose manual locking mechanism.

But anyway, thanks for the assistance! He did not know the fenders and bumpers had been painted and it did put me in a good bargaining position. They came down a fair amount but not enough for me for the condition of this E.

The search continues…

·
Registered
685 Posts
Good call, d3lphi! There will be other Elements and you should get the car you'll be happy with. I think a smoker's car would be a deal breaker for me as well.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element EX AWD
619 Posts
The E looked nice from the pictures, but it sounds like you will keep looking and find another down the road. I did like that it had fog lamps installed. Drivers seat needed repaired, but my '05 seat is in worse shape than that one. Good luck on your search. Find one and come back and post pictures. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good call, d3lphi! There will be other Elements and you should get the car you'll be happy with. I think a smoker's car would be a deal breaker for me as well.
Thanks, I think it was the right decision. We are looking for a replacement vehicle for my wife that will eventually probably become mine, so I think I should get something I will be more happy with, like you said...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts