Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my E up in the morning, and come up to the first stop sign (and sometimes the 2nd and 3rd too), and take it out of gear (5 spd), the idle goes WAY down and the engine stalls. This only seems to happen after the car has been sitting for a period of time... say, over night, or while I am at work.
before I head off to the dealer, I want to make sure I have a few things in mind. The problem won't re-occur while it's there (because I will have had to have driven it there, a good half hour from home).
I was thinking fuel filter, timing, or alternator... what do you, oh wise EOC members think? Has anyone had this happen? What could it be??

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I suspect the throttle body needs to be cleaned and the idle bypass checked-out. Sort of a typical problem for older vehicles, E or not. If it was any of the stuff you suggested there would be other, more significant issues.

In case you don't have time to get to this immediately, add some Techron (or other fuel system cleaner) to your next two tankfuls as a cheap way to mitigate dirty fuel injectors as a contributor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I actually DO need gas, so I will put a bottle of Techron in at the same time. It sure can't hurt!
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had a sticking throttle at idle and after forcing the throttle past that, it stumbed and sputter.

I pulled the TB and IO off and cleaned them with brake clean......... problem gone!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
2007 5speed EX 118k

First time posting, I just bought my E used and have had to do some work on it but nothing (plugs, oil, filters, fluids) has been able to help with what appears to be the exact same problem 4dadogs described above. Only stalls at first couple stops, only after it has sat overnight. Did the throttle body/idle bypass cleaning work? I've also heard similar issues being resolved with a new idle valve? Before I go to the dealer (I've really learned to hate my Honda dealer's prices lately), I'd like to see what I can do. Does anyone have any links to good diagrams that would help me get at the TB?

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts