Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I've owned my '03 Element for just over a year now. When I first bought it, half of the cluster lights were burned out. I looked up online how to upgrade to LED lights, which made an improvement, but I've still never really been happy with the brightness of the gague cluster, especially during the day. With how far back the cluster is set, it seems to be a little difficult to read during the day, even with having the lights on, at least for me.

Prior to my Element, I owned a '06 Civic. I really enjoyed the digital odometer readout on it and kind of miss having that. So that got me to thinking, can I replace my cluster with another cluster? Digital or not, I would really love to have a brighter display. I've done some research and have found some universal clusters that may work. I haven't quite decided to go down that path, yet, but basically I would try to fit them within the dash mount as if they were supposed to fit there originally. That would be the goal, anyway.

My other idea is a little (a lot) more extreme. Actually replacing the '03 cluster/dash with the '11 cluster/dash, however I quickly found out that it could lead to issues where my Element may not start at all due to security/code issues. I /could/ get it re-coded and whatnot, but that could end up being a little more costly. So...I may not go down that route.

Has anyone else modded their cluster beyond an LED upgrade? Ideas? Pictures?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You'll have to find a way to re-program the cluster you swap too, to have it reflect your mileage properly. Otherwise, you're stuck with whatever mileage the gauge cluster you get has on it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had the same beef about the instruments in the dark tunnel. My workaround was to install a heads-up display. Information and some pics in this thread: https://www.elementownersclub.com/threads/hud-anyone-else-done-this-mod.155658/#post-1642730. I wouldn't be without it now. I have mine set to display speed, RPMs, and engine temperature (both as an analog graph and digitally. On startup it shows the battery voltage long enough to get a quick read on the charging system. Other than noting systems check lights on startup and lights if the E thinks it has to tell me something, I seldom even look 'into the tunnel. I have had the box about 2 years now and once I got it set up where I wanted it on the windshield other than occasionally toggling the display to a trip odometer I haven't touched it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts