Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello we have a 2003 E that every once in a while will not start. The immobilizer kicks in (clicking from behind glovebox). It has a keyless entry system because the drivers side door lock keeps seizing up. Is there a way to bypass the immobilizer? This is not a looker and we are not worried about it being stolen. This is a kids car and they have been stranded a few times with it not starting. After you wait a while and try different things it seems to start up (opening other doors with the key, locking and unlocking physically from the inside and with the unlock button on the drivers side). Everywhere I look it states to manually lock and unlock with the key from the driver's side BUT the lock is frozen again.

Please PM me with a solution if you dont want to post.

Thanks for the help.

I have taken the driver's side lock out twice and rebuilt but they dont seem to last.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The immobilizer light is the green key symbol in the instrument cluster. If you turn the key to the run position and the immobilizer light goes out, it's not the immobilizer preventing it from starting. The immobilizer also doesn't make any noise.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't know what clicking behind the glovebox is about. Other than that, the symptoms point to maybe the ignition switch. It is fairly easy to take out and test. When mine was dying, there was clicking, but it was closer to the steering column as I recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Adding this is a 2003 EX
I had the same problem with my 03. I changed lots of fuses and even the key. Finally figured out that if I hit the dash above the instrument panel, it would self correct. I know it sounds odd but it may work for you as well. And yes this was learned when I hit it in frustration when stranded. I am now wondering if the instrument panel or it’s connections are the cause. Best results are when I hit it as the key light is blinking but before I put the key in. I’ve been hitting me E for 2 years now. Good luck. Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
shines is exactly right . I have been starting my '03 this way for over two years; and yes, there can be clicking by the glove box. Also most indicator lights can be flashing . The key light can start flashing before you touch the car . In my experience, once you start this way, starts will be good the rest of the day. A sharp blow just above the speedometer works. It rarely takes two blows.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi -
I had the same problem with my 2003 E, and accidentally discovered an override procedure. (I posted solution to this forum, and other members confirmed that it worked.)
This sounds very strange, and you’ll feel stupid when you’re first trying it, but:
• turn the ignition key OFF
• move the windshield-wiper stalk
DOWN 2 clicks to the On/Slow
position
• try starting the car again

That oughta do it!
The real problem involves a short in the instrument cluster (that’s why banging on the dash works [sometimes]). Replacing the cluster costs $600 from Honda, and has even documented by other members as a long-term solution. Until then, you can use the “Green Key of Death” procedure over and over!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi -
I had the same problem with my 2003 E, and accidentally discovered an override procedure. (I posted solution to this forum, and other members confirmed that it worked.)
This sounds very strange, and you’ll feel stupid when you’re first trying it, but:
• turn the ignition key OFF
• move the windshield-wiper stalk
DOWN 2 clicks to the On/Slow
position
• try starting the car again

That oughta do it!
The real problem involves a short in the instrument cluster (that’s why banging on the dash works [sometimes]). Replacing the cluster costs $600 from Honda, and has even documented by other members as a long-term solution. Until then, you can use the “Green Key of Death” procedure over and over!
Since this seems to be a recurring problem, here’s the original post:

Reply Quote #69 Feb 5, 2012

For anybody who's got this problem . . .

. . . and would like to lead a (slightly) less surreal life until he can come up with a new instrument cluster:
There may be an over-ride built into the Immobilizer software. When your (2003?) Element won't start, and the relays start clicking, and the little green key-light starts shining, try this: 1) Turn off the ignition; 2) Move the windshield-wiper wand down 2 clicks to the On (Slow) position; and 3) Try starting the car again.
If your E is like mine, it'll fire immediately, and you can return the wiper wand to the Off position without killing the engine. The instrument panel will be dark, as described by others, but no driving functions will be affected; you'll be able to proceed with your life, and when the car has decided that it's given you enough crap for the day, it'll 'wake up' with a series of beeps.
Good luck!

·
Registered
249 Posts
If it is indeed the cluster, yours can be rebuilt, look here Instrument Cluster Rebuild Success. I've used that company, and the cluster has been fine since it was repaired about 3 years ago. I had different symptoms, well documented on this forum by a number of people - all the lights in the cluster would go off. The repair should be similar though - they go over all the contacts and the lights.

Or you can look for a used cluster. I got one from a partout for $40. It worked fine while mine was out for service, no programming needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts