Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been looking at the E for a while, and almost ended up with one last year. Today, my wife located one about 2 hours from here that has everything we want: 5-spd manual, galapagos green, EX, 4WD, with 70k miles, for $9k. Hopefully we'll be going out to look at it this weekend. It's at a smaller used car lot, which means I don't trust anything I don't see with my own eyes. I've made up a little list of things to check, if anyone sees anything they'd check for, please lemme know! We'd be paying cash, so the only thing that I'm worried about is the condition of the car, not how shady their financing is.

Body:
dents
paint scratches/chips
rocking chair
windshield
glass
seat fabric
keyless entry
window mechanisms/power windows/sunroof
Look under car for damage/loose body panels
Tires
Brakes
interior lights

Under the hood:
Check numbers matching on VIN
check for center-punch on engine compartment VIN over first character
Check radiator fluid
Inspect hoses
Look for leaked-on spots
Examine serpentine belt

Running:
Check A/C and heat
Check clutch function at speed and starting
Check all synchros and gears
Turn to full lock, listen for rubbing or squealing
does it drive in a straight line
Brakes
lights
listen under hood for squeaks/noises

Also, with the service bulletin on the coolant (this one is in the range), if it HASN'T been fixed, is it something I can just take it into a Honda dealer and they'll do for free under warranty? I noticed it doesn't expire till 2011, but I want to make sure I wouldn't have to pay to replace the whole cooling system 8)

Thanks! I'm super excited about getting another shot at an E with everything we want in it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's a good list. Sounds like you know what you are doing. Not that you need anything additional, but I'll give you 2 cents. Make sure you drive all the way through the gears into 5th for a while up to highway speeds. Check for existence of the spare tire and all jack and stuff. And if it has wheel locks on the wheels, make sure you have the wheel lock key located. Oh and maybe bring a CD so you can test out the audio.

Sounds like you are going to be on top of everything.

I have a manual and really like it. If you can feel like its good condition with the low miles, then the overall deal sounds pretty good. Especially if you juke them down some sum. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Run a CarFAX?
thanks guys!

Yeah, they'll hand me a carfax when I get there - most used dealerships will give you a free one nowadays. However, I don't put a whole lot of stock into them. When I was a young'un, I wrecked my parents' truck not once, but twice. More than $14k in damage all told. One of the wrecks (and repairs) doesn't show up at all on the carfax, and the other shows up as "maintenance".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts