Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wtf is up with 2003's O2 sensor...I have owned a '93 delSol Si, and have a '97 acura Integra ls, and have never needed to replace a single O2 sensor...and have done mods that should have made them have a shorter life...

yet my 2003 E EX just popped two lights and the codes taken from the ECU say that I need to replace an o2 sensor...what gives!?! I haven't even modded this thing...:-x and $200+ to replace if i do the labor?!? gimme a break honda!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
106k and some change...and i know, i know..."nothing lasts forever"...BUT...it is a bit ridiculous that my Integra with 180k and my delSol Si with 150K have never had O2 sensors changed...

maybe its dirtied and needs cleaning? I popped the fault probably a week after sea foaming the engine (oil, fuel, and intake per bottle instructions)...but I never had any problems after seafoaming with any other vehicle...

any ideas? I'm thinking I'm gonna remove them, and clean em up with some MAFS (mass air flow sensor) cleaner... :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
They are known to be tough to remove; make sure you have the correct tool. Might be easier to remove when hot. But after going to that trouble, why not just put a new part in its place? I know it's not cheap, but you're not gonna get another 100K out of the factory sensor.

And yeah, you were extraordinarily lucky with the other two cars. 106K on a sensor ain't too bad!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had to replace my O2 sensor (fwd of Cat.) it toke longer to put the E on the ramps then to change the sensor. I went to Auto zone,O'rielly's,and acouple other parts stores and the Prices was around 180.00 ,then I checked the Honda dealer in town and they had one for 127.00 :-D so I got it and the washer(it comes with anti-sieze already on it). no special tool required. I did buy an O2 crows-foot wrench at auto-zone but did not need it,plus it was a 1/2 drive and not 3/8 drive. I used an adjustable wrench. My E had about 145,000 miles on it at the time,it has 150,000 now and no problems at all. You will need to have auto-zone or any other place to clear the code and light. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
lemme know how your MAFS spray cleans up 106k of exhaust soot.....

your other cars may have mostly highway mileage & the E could have lived its live in bumper to bumper........or maybe not..... parts DO fail & 106k is more than fair for the life of an o2 sensor.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
My wife just had an O2 sensor replaced on her 2007 Fit. Fortunately it was still under warranty. Some parts do fail prematurely, even if it is a Honda.

·
Registered
246 Posts
any ideas? I'm thinking I'm gonna remove them, and clean em up with some MAFS (mass air flow sensor) cleaner...
FWIW, since you did not specify the DTCs that were stored, if the codes happened to be for a faulty heater circuit, "cleaning" the sensors won't accomplish anything other than to waste your time.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,889 Posts
I would contact Honda and see if they would good will it for you.

Not likely, but if you need to lodge a complaint, you should start there:lol:

·
Registered
661 Posts
I replaced mine at around 105,000 miles. Got it at Autozone for under $70.00. I took the old one out, and I had to use the special tool to remove it, and then spliced the new sensor to the original connector.
No problems since & the code cleared itself in a couple of days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts