Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy an E but am wondering if I should wait for the 2004 models. Does anyone know of changes worth waiting for?

Thanks.

Rick

P.S. Test drove one last Saturday. Wow.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Doubt if there are any significant changes with such a new vehicle that was a late arrival. If there are - you'll pay for them :wink:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Usually when a new model comes out, they make it as well as they can (sometimes it has a few bugs). When they fix it the next model year, they usually bump up the price.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
RML interesting view on the new versions.. above all i think it is a matter of how bad you gotta have it.. and many of us just HAD to HAVE it NOW!!
I was going insane till mine came in, now it has accessories being put on and i am going through withdrawal! :lol:

·
Registered
352 Posts
If honda treats the E like it has treated it's other products, they're won't really be any "changes" just "enhancements". At this point, i think there would be little difference, if any, between an 03 and 04.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've actually been considering holding off as well. I'm already waiting until June for the AWD 5-speeds, what's a couple months more for a few kinks to be worked out?! I will still probably cave in June and get it, but my hope is that a few issues will be worked out by then. Namely:
- Rocking seats
- Cracking windshields
- Tailgate alignment

All of which are potential safety recalls. The rest are fit and finish issues that occur with every new model. I think if in June, these three are still at the top of the postings, I will hold off until Oct-Nov when the ought fours are released. :-(

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been debating on waiting a little while also. More-so because the side impact air bags will be in later. But, sheesh, everytime I drive it I just want it NOW! *lol* I have to stop tempting myself!

Angie :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Someone told me this once and it made sense to me. With the modern levels of product testing and the high cost of R&D, branding and marketing, of a brand new breakthrough design and model, yet if this model had a serious flaw, then the product line will get an instant bad rep effecting sales for the years to come, so the first models have to be stellar to avoid the omen. So after stating this, it doesnt mean that it cant happen as not everything can be foreseen :) But it something does turn up serious enough then I am sure it will be fixed free of charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm kinda surprised I havent seen this mentioned anyhwere else:

Heated exterior mirrors!

I am looking for Spring of 2004 and I am seriously torn between the Element and the Hyundai Santa Fe. I know people will disparage the Hyundai track record, but I am VERY impressed with what they have done in the past two years. Three friends and my mother have various Hyundai's and the fit and finish, the reliability and the standard features are very impressive.

Here when I thought I had an easy decision, the Element comes and throws me a curveball! Keep posting all your thoughts, observations and pet peeves -- it helps us fence-sitters.

·
Registered
608 Posts
LDegrelle,

Well, let me throw something else in the mix. The resale value.

Honda's usually hold their value very well.

My sister went to trade in her Hundai and she did not get much on it. Now, her car was in great shape, and normal mileage.

Resale is something to consider as well.

·
Registered
352 Posts
RML and others are right - Hyundai's take a real beating a trade-in time. I've heard Hyundai's reliability has greatly improved, however, there are many people out there that don't know that and thusly when trying to sell one of their products, you'll take it in the shorts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am one of those people who do not trade in their cars until they absolutely need to. In this case, my 1985 Chrysler 5th Avenue just does not have room for our expanding family. Runs like a champ, but need that wide open interior!

One other thing I would like for 2004 on the Element:
Traction Control

I dont see it as an option and wonder how well the 4wd works without it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
LDegrelle,

The AWD works great. In snow, and a bit of ice, no problem.

Went on a trip up to NH. Dad had to put his Passport in 4WD to get up and down the driveway, I just drove, the AWD kicked in fine. Did not notice, but up and down the drive without any problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats just what I'm looking for. Of course I also am trying to figure out whether I need AWD or not - we only really get 2 or 3 big snows a year. That plus the reduced gas mileage make me wonder.

Also, you keep the stock tires or upgrade to something else?

·
Registered
608 Posts
LDegrelle,

I have kept the stock tires so far, but will put something on with a bit more bite when the time comes to change tires.

Getting the AWD, well, that is something that only you can figure out. I know we travel quite a bit out of NYC. In the city, we only get a few major snows a year. Some places we travel to, get a lot more snow, and others, tons of rain. We kind of look at it as insurance. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts