Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a used Element and of course the first thing I had to do was get a new battery (the one from the dealership died the night I picked up the car). Little did I realize what a pain it would be to get the radio unlocked...

This forum has great instructions for retrieving the radio serial number from the front of the radio, but being a 2003 model I was not getting the 8 digit serial that Honda/everyone on this forum? seems to expect. Instead I was getting three screens, the first being six digits, the following two each being four. I took the car to the dealership and they had the same thing happen. I was told that I would have to pay ~$78 to have them pull the radio in order to get the serial number. I called Honda USA and got the same story after giving them the number.

In the end I took out the radio myself (threw in the pics for the hell of it). What did I find on the bottom of the unit? The same serial number that had been displayed on the front. When I called Honda USA back and insisted this was the number, I was able to get an unlock code (after some mild confusion on their end).

I scoured this forum and haven't seen anyone else point this out (apologies if I am wrong, but now at least this will be easy to find). Hopefully other 2003 owners will have a much easier time retrieving their unlock codes.

As for my bezel removal method - I documented it while pulling out the unit, so I'm putting it up here anyway:

There are four clips and a row of prongs that hold the bezel in place. The clips are relatively robust (metal spring type), the prongs look like they could bend/break more easily.

I used a pair of very thin flat-head screwdrivers (the type used for computer repair) to pry off the panel. Starting in the upper left (other instructions say never to start at the top, but I found this to work well) I would lightly pry with one screwdriver, then insert the other behind it to hold the tension, carefully working my way down on each side in this manner. Once the bezel was hanging by the bottom I simply inserted a longer screwdriver from above, pushing in on one side of the metal clips on the bottom while gently pulling out.

The first picture shows the location of the clips/prongs (sorry, all labelled "clips"). I also included a close up of one of the clips. I've thrown in a picture of the removed bezel and the prongs that run along the bottom of the bezel for good measure.

Finally, I've labelled the location of the 14 digit serial number. You can just get it from the front by holding down the "1" and "6" buttons when turning the radio on...

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did Kenwood make those single-DIN Honda radios?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 99.9% sure that this Kenwood is an original Honda accessory. The part number is 08A02-4E1-100, and appears to be the same radio installed in the 2006 Honda Civic DX (unless the part number stays the same when the supplier changes... which is a possibility).

Here is a link to someone who sells this model radio:
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-AM-FM-CD-Tuner-Civic-Element__08A02-4E1-100.aspx

They also have an install manual for the 2003 element on their site:
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2006_Element_AMFMCDTuner_AII24298.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts