Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
EOC Rank: Seagull
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I have my fingers crossed hoping someone can help me with this. After reviewing other posts... I dont have much doubt :grin:

2003 Element//AWD//Auto

Had some issues starting the car, only during the first start up of the day. Went on about once or twice a week for about 1 month. Then started to get worse where I was waiting about 5 minutes after the initial start to try again and it would start... eventually, Sunday, car would no longer start. When turning the car over, it would have a little juice and the starter would turn but slow and for only about 2 seconds. Then it would just click once when I turned over the ignition, then nothing.

Cleaned battery terminals, checked wire connections with starter/battery//all good.

Took out starter, tested at Autozone, failed.

Replaced starter with reman starter, tryed to start Element, with no luck. Bad grinding sound when trying to start. Checked the alignment of starter and it it correct. Flywheel teeth look fine.

Took reman starter back to autozone to compair with core I turned in, looked the same. They gave me a different reman starter to try with the same outcome.

My next step is to take back the Autozone starter and have the old Honda Starter rebuilt and put it back on and see what happens.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DUHHhHh....

Well... I looking at the past threads below mine... I think I found my answer. The teeth are off a small amount. Im going to try and have mine fixed. But any additional info would help also.
:twisted:

·
Registered
178 Posts
The problem is the aftermarket starters for the E are typically 10% weaker than the stock units. Even with that said the aftermarket starters are still powerful enough to start the car but it's a slightly slower start if you pay close enough attention. The fact you had a solenoid click makes me wanna ask if you tested your battery. Pretty much any aftermarket starter for the E should fit and work fine (but a little weaker) since they are in high demand for the accords right now. Even if you did have the battery tested I would ask to have it tested one more time. I've seen a battery pass a test then fail the test following.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is the aftermarket starters for the E are typically 10% weaker than the stock units. Even with that said the aftermarket starters are still powerful enough to start the car but it's a slightly slower start if you pay close enough attention. The fact you had a solenoid click makes me wanna ask if you tested your battery. Pretty much any aftermarket starter for the E should fit and work fine (but a little weaker) since they are in high demand for the accords right now. Even if you did have the battery tested I would ask to have it tested one more time. I've seen a battery pass a test then fail the test following.
I tested the battery and was at 13.8 volts. All lights and radio work fine at all
times also. Intitally the starter would just click and not turn at all. Now with the new autozone starter it turns but the teeth are not linning up. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Without seeing it and being there it's just guesswork bro. Even though you tested the battery fine at 13.8v it is always a good idea to put it into a load test to get a real result of performance. This is something a volt meter simply can not due properly. The teeth not lining up has be stumped. This is a high demand starter so I doubt they gave you the wrong one. Would not surprise me to see a bum one walk out of autozone but I've just had bad luck with their remans vs the competition.

You could always call all local junkyards in your area looking for an e or accord total (also the RSX used this starter I believe). Find one with low mileage (under 20k) and you should be able to walk with it for under $30. I've never figured out what went wrong at mitsuba to crank out so many bad starters for the newer E's and Accords. The used starter should last roughly the same time as the one you just yanked. At least the used one would be the higher voltage stock version and you'll get that perfect Honda cranking sound.

Good luck bro

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just wondering.....did they give you one for the manual tranny? How much did it run you, this will answer the question.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Starter Replacement

I remember seeing a couple of posts that addressed the aftermarket reman starters and it seems to me I read something about the teeth not lining up with the flywheel properly. Perhaps it is a matter of alignment or maybe there is a difference in the autmatic and standard transmission starters. If you had the starter tested at AutoZone and they say it is bad then it probably is. Some of the Honda parts sellers actually have reman starters. I do not know how many people have used them but I am sure others will weigh in on this one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Your mileage may vary, but I don't buy anything parts wise from Autozone. I know so many people that have spent hours working on their car using parts from AutoZone that turned out to be bad. It wastes alot of time and effort. Starters, alternaters, heater cores, and especially fuel pumps, all bad from the get go, but you assume they are good because they're new. It is very frustrating and confusing when a new part causes the same problem you were having to begin with.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update...

It was the teeth, they were off by just a bit. I had the orginal starter reman'd and we have been on the road since! :razz:

Mastering the intake removal!!! :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Remanufactured warnings....starter 17870S

I went to Carquest and went through 3 starters remanufactured and with a product number 17870S....Product called Proven Value.
the number on the NEW one was 07870.

I have a 2004 Element with 240000 miles on it (yes they last that long). The reman looked a little different than the original and I had three of them that had improper seleniod operation or just not enough power to crank the engine.

Anyway the starter in there now is Made in Japan, it had a HONDA and MITSUMA sticker on it all the numbers on it are listed below.

A0838-595
31200-RAA-A52
SM-71008

Company NTP

If it screws up I shall let you all know but it seems that when it comes to starters....and the hours involved in changing them out, don't go with remanufactured unless it is by a shop you trust and it is the EXACT match of OEM specifications. Just because it fits doesn't mean its right for the element.

I hope this helped someone as I was going out of my mind for a while there.
I got quite proficient in getting that intake manifold in and out, attaching and detaching throttle cables, dissembling all kinds of stuff but don't take it somewhere.....buy the shop manual, not chiltons or haynes....the HONDA shop manual has saved me thousands.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Problem appears solved

It has been 3 Days since replacing the "re-manufactured" Starter with the one designed to go in the car.

It starts every time and sounds quieter and better too.

Again don't skimp on the part....do your own labor and save but buy the best part....NEW!!!

Best of luck

·
Registered
536 Posts
Starter Problems Solved

Chief,

Thanks for the info. on the starters. I will remember that when mine goes out. I have the factory tech. manual so half my battle is already won. I am at 109K and still cranking good but one day I know it will give up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
119,068 miles. I'm sitting in a parking lot off campus. And my starter has died. :cry:

·
Registered
207 Posts
It was the teeth, they were off by just a bit. I had the orginal starter reman'd and we have been on the road since! :razz:

Mastering the intake removal!!! :lol:
I am experiencing a sluggish start as you described in your first thread. I was wondering after you got past the starter teeth issue did it indeed solve your starting problem originally described.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Today my E didn't start. The battery is showing just under 12 volts, it's a little low but it should at least crank a little, but all I get is the starter clicking on and then clicking off after a few seconds, so the solenoid is engaging, but no crank.

I am just thinking that it has to be the starter that has died. It's below freezing outside, Sunday (Honda Dealership is not open!), and I'm two hours away from home! How very frustrating

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Sunny is experiencing problems!

My kiddo was home at Thanksgiving and took Sunny to the store and she wouldn't start.

All was fine for several weeks then last week at the store she wouldn't start for me. 2 days ago she did it again, and again today.

She starts whenever I leave, sometimes it does seem like a slow drag to start but she always starts. It's at the store she won't start, after driving for 15 minutes then sitting for 20.

Took her to the auto parts store because the battery is just a year old. They checked the battery and the alternator and everything checked out.

So my next guess is the starter.
It's New Years--yeah! no mechanics open:-(
I'm going to try and have the starter re-built. I'll let you know if that was the problem.......?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Thanks to this forum, so I could print out the instructions, and to Mr. Jojo who removed the old starter.

I was able to take the old one and have it rebuilt. The mechanic said it was "tired".

Mr. Jojo put it back on today and it STARTS!!!!!:grin:

I am a FREE woman!

Cost for the rebuild = $140.
Cost for the labor = Lunch at a steak house, $30 with tip.:)
Knowing Sunny will start = priceless!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Had some issues starting the car, only during the first start up of the day. Went on about once or twice a week for about 1 month. Then started to get worse where I was waiting about 5 minutes after the initial start to try again and it would start... eventually, Sunday, car would no longer start. When turning the car over, it would have a little juice and the starter would turn but slow and for only about 2 seconds. Then it would just click once when I turned over the ignition, then nothing...
I had all these symptoms over the last week or two. My 04 just turned 150,000 miles and I replaced the battery 6 months ago. Just to be sure I had my guys replace the battery under battery guarantee. A week later ....dead in the driveway. It being around 0°F at the time and me being 60 years old and a klutz with tools off it went on a tow truck.

New rebuilt starter installed...$660.

But I still have less than $6000 in maintenance and repair costs in this bad boy and I see nothing on the market I want to replace the Element with so...

LET'S KEEP TRUCKING!!:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts