Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am experiencing a sluggish start as you described in your first thread. I was wondering after you got past the starter teeth issue did it indeed solve your starting problem originally described.
Yup, getting sluggish is the term I would use. My experience is this:

06' E LX manual AWD was having starting issues after 100,000 miles. The starter was getting "tired" and slows. Eleminated the battery being the problem after I hooked up a 930 CCA truck battery and the starter still was sluggish.

Pulled / disassembled the starter and found that there's no lubercation left on the moving parts... (Note: do not completly disassemble the starter, it's a PITA to put the spring loaded brushes back in - open just the geared part)

The cheap grease they use all broke down and the starter just choked on the crap that's left over. Brushes looked great and lots of life left. I cleaned everything and tested the starter on a battery before reinstall. The cleaned / lubed (use high temp / quality wheel bearing grease) spun like a top.

I can't believe Honda would tuck the starter in the middle of everything!

Not the cure for all starter problems, but if your starter is getting sluggish, this is probably why.

YMMV, but I saved my self a bundle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
auto awd 2003 ex, starter been cranking slow & finally just clicked. new battery & even jumped , No good. All connections bright & clean. Took to starter shop, & they said, "fried & must replace, they gave me supposed to be new mitsuba? they claim oem supplier. I installed & bad cranking noise! Now they are going to give me a reman bosch, I have my dobts now after reading. arrrrrrrr!!!!
. On edit; reman bosch works fine. yippee! Now to see if I use old intake gasket with 30 minutes on it, will still seal, if used again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
auto awd 2003 ex, starter been cranking slow & finally just clicked. new battery & even jumped , No good. All connections bright & clean. Took to starter shop, & they said, "fried & must replace, they gave me supposed to be new mitsuba? they claim oem supplier. I installed & bad cranking noise! Now they are going to give me a reman bosch, I have my dobts now after reading. arrrrrrrr!!!!
I have an update to my situation, The stater keeps getting weaker and weaker by the week and it just didn't make sense. Finally a new issue, I was unable to shift into any gear! (AWD-LX-5 speed - even if the car is not running) Good pressure on the pedal, I could not figure out what's up. I had to open the transmission to see for my self.
It turn out that the throwout bearing had a broken arm and it pop out of place. The throwout bearing kept the clutch locked to the pressure plate....Once the clutch was replaced, everything worked perfectly. The old starter starts perfectly and it has stay strong ever since.

Good Luck!
k

·
Registered
85 Posts
Update; My starter has an occasional noise when cranking. It is intermittant and sounds like a split second there is no juice to it when it happens. Kind of like a hiccup while turning over. I'm guessing one bad commutator strip? Just a matter of time when the starter might stop at the bad section and guessing it wont crank when this happens. So I'm searching for a starter now. I see Rockauto has reman Denso BUT when looking at details, the description states "Denso First Time Fit" remanufactured, with a little r trademark symble. For a $102.00 I doubt it is done by the actual Denso Co. I thought I read somewhere, I saw a sentence that said NOT Denso, in their description. I think this rebuild is misleading, I'm not going to gamble. I'm going to order a Honda rebuilt from HondaPartsNow.com with the 3 year warranty. Anyone have good or bad experiance ordering from these guys?

·
Registered
85 Posts
In the meantime, I have a new boat battery with 800 cca, so I thought I'd mod it in while waiting for starter. And just maybe the bigger battery will cure all. After installing bigger battery, I started car up . Let it run a bit 4-5 min and then shut it down. Then retry, starter cranks but no start???? Then I figured maybe I screwed up & didn't let the car run long enough at idle to relearn. So I disconnected battery for approx 15 min and reconnected, retry start and cranking but no start. RRRRrrrr I've never had issues like this & car has 158K on odo. The immobilizer is not on. Went inside to pc & look up here for causes. Looks like my 2003 has dash issues, but why changing battery would cause this? Maybe I'll put old battery back in and see what happens.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts