Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have purchased a used 2004 E (100k) and occasionally have a clunk type sound and delay / hesitation after shifting from park to drive. I am no mechanic, but on older cars I would assume this to be a Universal Joint problem; anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
541 Posts
i get sometimes too. how was your car idling or where you on a incline. i find even a small incline gives me that clunk.worst case motor mount/tranny mount

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

It happens when the vehicle is on flat terrain, but I'll try it on an incline. Thanks. I'll check out the tranny / engine mount.

·
EOC Rank: Seagull
12 Posts
I had the same issue with clunking, especially when excelerating over any type of bump. I thought that my tranny was 2 seconds from giving out on me. My hubby replaced my starter (MANY issues with my Ele) and took a look at my mounts and noticed that the tranny mount was SHOT! Got a new one and now runs like a dream! I might add the mount came out in 2 pieces.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Also check transmission fluid level, and quality. Low fluid will result in late torque converter spin-up, which will manifest itself in delayed and sudden engagement. Bad/old fluid will cause internal clutch slippage, again causing a delay and clunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions and insight. Very valuable, especially since I have a little drivetrain warranty left.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts