Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my AC hasn't been blowing cold air for a few months. I'm going to be getting some money soon, and I want to get it fixed. Rolling the windows down only cools you down so much in the Houston area. Can anyone give me an idea of the pricing I'm looking at to get my AC repaired?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Well, my AC hasn't been blowing cold air for a few months. I'm going to be getting some money soon, and I want to get it fixed. Rolling the windows down only cools you down so much in the Houston area. Can anyone give me an idea of the pricing I'm looking at to get my AC repaired?
I'm not familiar with the prices for the various repairs to your AC but it's hard for anyone here to respond to that without knowing what kind of repairs you're needing. Topping off the freon or rebuilding various parts of the system all cost different amounts from "ooch" to "agony"

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
If I were you Ryan, I would find a shop that does nothing but A/C repairs. If
they are a good shop, they will test your system for leaks for free. They put
a dye into the system to see if you compressor, condenser, or any of the
hoses are leaking. They will also have all the proper tools for refilling the
refrigerant. Not sure what part of Texas you are from, but I'm sure there is
more than one A/C shop in your area.

If you have no leaks, and all the parts are working properly, all you should
need is a refill. That wont be to bad. If you condenser is leaking or the
compressor is not working properly, hold onto your manties!!!!! :-D:shock:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm at a repair shop, and they said that the entire front of my compressor was missing... He said I should look at over $600. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
At that price it might be a good idea to get a second opinion.
otherwise, I know nothing about the A/C.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
That's like saying the back part of your E is gone, that's why you hear road noise. RUN, don't walk, away from that shop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My brother-in-law was told he had a "Missing" AC, and was quoted $700 for his Honda Prelude.

Turns out the clutch for the AC fell off, a common problem apparently in some older preludes and civics. However, the mechanic said the entire compressor would have to be replaced for $700 because you just can't get a clutch by itself, even though I found it online for about $125, and I found a DIY on how to install it :).

So, go ahead and pop that good ole panel off that is under the front passenger wheel to gain a better view of your AC compressor, because it can't really be missing considering the drive belt is hooked to it...but who knows maybe your clutch just fell off also...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
My brother-in-law was told he had a "Missing" AC, and was quoted $700 for his Honda Prelude.

Turns out the clutch for the AC fell off, a common problem apparently in some older preludes and civics. However, the mechanic said the entire compressor would have to be replaced for $700 because you just can't get a clutch by itself, even though I found it online for about $125, and I found a DIY on how to install it :).

So, go ahead and pop that good ole panel off that is under the front passenger wheel to gain a better view of your AC compressor, because it can't really be missing considering the drive belt is hooked to it...but who knows maybe your clutch just fell off also...
But... but... If the pulley is attached to the clutch, how can the clutch "fall off" and not leave you with a big wad of belt and a soon-to-be dead engine?

·
Registered
52 Posts
It sounded weird to me also, but the clutch is separate from the pulley.

Clutch is inner, pulley is outer, so pulley can still stay on if clutch is missing, at least for that prelude, have not checked the element yet

**Edit**

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/online...30&isBigPicture=False&pageName=A/C Compressor

Looks like they changed it up for the element, seems like the pulley should fall off if the outer part of the clutch comes off. I might be wrong, but yea, AC problems suck... So yea, I would get a second opinion...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts