Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New set of tires went to dealer to get aligned they said that during the alignment they found "front tie rods are both seized and will need to replace power steering rack to align". That said, I'm curious if that's the case.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sounds like you need a second opinion!

If the inner tie rods were truly "seized", you would have some trouble turning the steering wheel. If the outer tie rods were truly "seized", you wouldn't be able to turn the steering wheel at all! (Think about it.)

And unless the power steering rack is seriously worn, they usually are not a factor in alignment.

Either way, you would have some serious drive-ability problems (beyond just tires) if you had both of those issues.

Does it drive down the road at least somewhat normal? (If you needed both tie rods and a rack it would be wandering around a whole lot.)

Yeah, I would check somewhere else, Sounds like they are trying to up-sell you.

BTW, Welcome Aboard!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It didn't sound logical that's why I reached out to the club. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You are welcome! That's why we are here!

This club is a great source of any Element help you may need.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. And check out the search function. Just about anything you may want to know has already been discussed at length right here. : - )

·
Registered
72 Posts
Couldn’t they mean that the adjusting threads are seized instead of the bell joints?

if that’s the case, it might be interesting to see if your toe in or out is ok, and therefore not worth worrying about at the moment...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I thought the shop meant the inner and outer tie rods were seized together and in the rack. If that was the case, they would be unable to adjust the toe. Maybe that was why they were pushing you towards new parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I brought the element to my local mechanic and he used heat to free up the the tie rods.
The alignment read out they gave me shows the right rear camber is out of spec. by 1 degree, not sure why they couldn't get it "perfectly" aligned and also not sure that 1 degree will matter. Waiting for a call back. Thanks again..

·
Registered
525 Posts
I brought the element to my local mechanic and he used heat to free up the the tie rods.
The alignment read out they gave me shows the right rear camber is out of spec. by 1 degree, not sure why they couldn't get it "perfectly" aligned and also not sure that 1 degree will matter. Waiting for a call back. Thanks again..
The rear camber isn't adjustable on the stock Element. As the bushings/springs age in the back it tends to increase. 1 additional degree isn't a killer but adjustable upper control arms for the rear aren't expensive ($35 to $50) or particularly difficult to install either. Then the rear camber can be set to spec. Ask your mechanic when he calls back. I put Moog ones in my E when I did my rear struts a few years ago since I was in there anyway and set my camber to spec with my normal load in the back. Using heat on the tie rod jam nut to free up the adjustment is quite normal. Good on your mechanic, BAD on your dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts