Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I picked up a salvage 2004 Honda Element EX MT and have been getting it drivable and it’s ready for its first run. The driver side front wheel was knocked off knuckle and all. Replaced the front driver cv axle shaft etc. I want to make sure there’s enough transmission fluid on the E before I drive it but I can’t find the transmission dipstick anywhere. Looked just behind the battery to the left of it and nothing. Everyone keeps pointing to just behind and below the battery but is not there. Does anyone have any suggestions where or if a dipstick can be found?.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did some further research and found the owners manual for my E and it does not show a dipstick for MT but a little further down the manual it shows how to check it using a filler bolt hole. Now I"m new to these things but a 2004 vehicle that does not have a dipstick for checking your tranny? Well I'm wondering what other shortcuts I'm getting ready to discover??
How to Check MT.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There isnt a dip stick on a manual transmission.
Thanks Lizzurd for replying. I did some research and found the Manual and just wanted to post what I found in case any newbie as myself wondered into this. But also wanted them to know where they could find the site hole to check it.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,158 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Everyone,
I picked up a salvage 2004 Honda Element EX MT and have been getting it drivable and it’s ready for its first run. The driver side front wheel was knocked off knuckle and all. Replaced the front driver cv axle shaft etc. I want to make sure there’s enough transmission fluid on the E before I drive it but I can’t find the transmission dipstick anywhere. Looked just behind the battery to the left of it and nothing. Everyone keeps pointing to just behind and below the battery but is not there. Does anyone have any suggestions where or if a dipstick can be found?.
why would anyone pick up a salvaged Element???!!! Or any salvaged car for that matter. You are only asking for big trouble---good luck trying to sell it in the future with a salvage title......by the way, law requires you to inform your insurance company about the salvage title....many will not insure them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So let’s start with 2019. There was sales of 900 Billion across the world. So I’d say who would want a salvaged car, millions do. Asking for trouble, no not at all. In terms trouble selling them, I don’t. When I buy these after I fix them, I give them away to someone who needs a car. I rebuild purely because I’m a wrencher at heart. Now as far as insuring, all 5 of my rebuilds I’ve never had issues with my insurance company insuring them. Not one. In fact two of the rebuilds were given to kids are still insured no problem. This cars back on the road already. All left is side glass replacement and I’ve got one lined up

·
Registered
185 Posts
So let’s start with 2019. There was sales of 900 Billion across the world. So I’d say who would want a salvaged car, millions do. Asking for trouble, no not at all. In terms trouble selling them, I don’t. When I buy these after I fix them, I give them away to someone who needs a car. I rebuild purely because I’m a wrencher at heart. Now as far as insuring, all 5 of my rebuilds I’ve never had issues with my insurance company insuring them. Not one. In fact two of the rebuilds were given to kids are still insured no problem. This cars back on the road already. All left is side glass replacement and I’ve got one lined up
Don't worry about the naysayers, Anm. If you're making the cars safely roadworthy I don't see what the problem is. I suspect you get these salvage cars for a very good price and make a little money on them. So long as the salvage title is disclosed to any buyers down the line they know what they're getting. Myself I prefer buying non-salvage cars, but everyone has their own point of view about it. Carry on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
why would anyone pick up a salvaged Element???!!! Or any salvaged car for that matter. You are only asking for big trouble---good luck trying to sell it in the future with a salvage title......by the way, law requires you to inform your insurance company about the salvage title....many will not insure them.
Do you know what a salvage title is? A care is considered totaled by the insurance company if the repairs cost more than half than the vehicle is worth. So if your Element is worth $3000 and you got into a fender bender and the repair shop quotes the repair to be $1600, the insurance company will total your car. You can pay a salvage fee to keep the car and repair it out of your pocket and your car will now have a salvage title.

For $1600, half of that is labor, so you're looking at $800 at parts. Say it's just a new bumper cover and a hood, is the car in that bad of shape that its going to be "big trouble"?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JP I do know what a salvage title Is. Do you know the different types of salve titles and what states allow certain types to be repaired? I do. So here’s the beauty of what you just quoted on repair prices. I love when I hear and see quotes like yours. I can take that same repair and same parts and do it a quarter of the cost. Let me give you an example on the car I’m working on. The driver side quarter window needs replacing. I’ve been given quotes in the 275 to 360 range and I’m quoting low on the high side. I bought the oem window at a salvage yard for $46. Not an aftermarket knock off but a replacement oem part. 3M car window weld for $14 for a total repair cost of $60 as opposed to 360 I’ve been quoted. Now lets work your numbers, so right off the bat I can reduce the 800 in labor to 0 and parts and I mean OEM from a salvage yard probably down to third or less. Now let’s talk value, you can’t put a value on a drivable car given to a family that did not have one for free. They can get their kids to school or events or can now get to work and see their loved ones, priceles. Now if there’s frame damage I let the shops handle that but I won’t buys those as I can’t control nor should I expect to the shops price. No big trouble, just guts to take on wrenching Projects to help others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the cars coming along nicely here’s a before and after of the major damage repaired.
Now the driver side front cladding has shown up but I’m trying to hunt down a reasonably priced cladding clip bracket (91502-SVC-A00) @ $10.00 a piece. Anyone having sources for a better price?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now here's one for the books. So I have all the front air bags replace, car runs great drives great. But unless I remove the under the hood fuse the horn stays on and it's LOUD! So maybe the horn relay or horn switch. Anyone have any experience trouble shooting this. Now the steering wheel air bag did deploy and I've replaced it but still the horns always on unless I remove that fuse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts