Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2004 Element less than 6 months ago, from a Honda dealership, and have put less than 2500 miles on it. The problem doesn't start until it has been driven for about 20-30 minutes. The clutch will not go into gear or will pop out while driving. It's at a different dealership for an estimate but their pretty sure it's the transmission.
Right after we got it home a brake and rotor problem developed within a day or two. They stood behind and replace the rotor, brakes, etc (over $875 worth of repairs) and it didn't cost me anything. Now, it's looking like the transmission needs replaced. Do I have any rights to get them to make my Element drivable? Is this a common problem with the 04's?
Please help!
:?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A few questions ....
1. how many miles do you currently have
2. if the first dealer treated you so well , $875 worth of free repairs , why not go back ?
3. did you do research before your purchase , carfax ?
I would think that after 6 months , you are out of luck , getting them to repair a transmission on a 04 , and since you did not purchase from them , I would think they don't owe you anything . Now , if they issued a warrantee when you purchased would be totally different .
Since it's a manual trans , as opposed to a automatic , it should be much cheaper to repair . Purchasing a 04 , I for one would guess it would need maintenance and depending on the mileage , you just may be due .......

good luck

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I agree it can't hurt to try at the Dealership where you bought it but I'd guess after 6 months they'll tell you to dream on. I would emphasize how few miles you have driven the car since you bought it. At a minimum hopefully they would give you a full assessment of what's wrong with the transmission (and/or the clutch). Popping out of gear doesn't sound like a clutch problem, although not going into gear potentially does. Again, how many miles on your E? Assuming it is the transmission and repairing it is expensive, you could consider finding a used one at a wrecking yard - I'm not sure what year range transmission will fit a 2004 but if you could find one in a wrecked E with relatively low miles, you might find a good deal. Of course either way if you fix or replace the transmission, replace the clutch at the same time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts