Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a ton of posts regarding this but I wanted clarification that I wasn't able to find in previous posts. I have a 2005 Element who's key fob has gone missing. I'm try to replace it with an all-in-one key and found here that a Ridgeline 35111-SHJ-305 key will work with my car.

It seems like I need to cut the blank key (most likely at a dealership) and then program it manually using approaches outlined in other posts. My question is regarding the immobilizer chip. Is it possible to get this working without smashing an old key? Even if I have to pay a dealer to program it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Ridgeline key is incompatible with the 03-05 Element ignition (immobilizer). (It is compatible with the 06-11 Elements.) I went through the search for an integrated key/remote for my 03 a number of years ago. A 2005 CR-V key will work just fine for 04-05 Elements with both the ignition and remote functions; part number 35111-S9A-305. The only drawback is the presence of a useless/non-functional rear hatch button. The key remote can easily be paired with the car by you. Getting the ignition key to work, however, requires a trip to the dealer or a well equipped locksmith for both the physical cutting and the required car programming. This same key will work with the 03 Element but the remote control unit under the dash to the left of the steering column has to be replaced (or added) with part number 38385-S9A-A01. These are readily available used on eBay.

For 06-11 Elements use the Accord key part number 35111-SDA-A11. The Ridgeline key part number 35111-SHJ-305 will work for the ignition and there are many reports in these forums that the remote function works fine too.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
unless you are buying a clonable key, the vehicle, not the key or fob, is what is programmed. the OEM setup has the key and fob as separate entities. the key communicates with the immobilizer and the fob communicates with the remote access system. the remote access system can be programmed by owner to accept a new fob, the immobilizer system generally needs to be programmed by dealer to accept a new key. if you can find a clonable key, it takes on the characteristics of an existing key and no programming is necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
unless you are buying a clonable key, the vehicle, not the key or fob, is what is programmed. the OEM setup has the key and fob as separate entities. the key communicates with the immobilizer and the fob communicates with the remote access system. the remote access system can be programmed by owner to accept a new fob, the immobilizer system generally needs to be programmed by dealer to accept a new key. if you can find a clonable key, it takes on the characteristics of an existing key and no programming is necessary.
That's an excellent point. I've used "code T5" keys to clone Honda "code F" keys; including 03-05 Elements (no dealer trip needed). There must be a T5 equivalent for the 06-11 Element "code V" keys? Does a clonable key with the integrated key-head remote exist?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Desinia, clearly this key is either a gray-market or an unlicensed copy. That doesn't mean it won't work. The seller does have a good eBay rating. The 46 chip they mention is one commonly used by unlicensed and licensed transponder key suppliers alike. But specialized, and fairly expensive machinery is needed to properly program (clone) the 46 chip for use with your car. So you will have to take this key to a locksmith, with the proper equipment, to be programmed. The car needs to be programmed as well to accept the key. Since the key was not purchased from the locksmith they might "give it a try" but with no guarantees except that you must pay the bill no matter the outcome. Many locksmiths refuse to program or cut customer supplied key blanks to avoid unpleasant situations that arise when working with unknown (to the locksmith) parts. All of this significantly increases your cost and risk of the thing not working.

What has worked best for me is to buy a real, Honda branded key from a trusted internet supplier. The price is always significantly lower than walking up to your local dealer's parts counter. Don't take the newly purchased key out of the Honda packaging. Then take that key and your car to your local dealer or a locksmith to have the key cut and the car programmed to accept it. I've never had a dealer refuse to cut/program and the cut/programming has always been successful. They might grouse a bit about you not buying the key from them but they really can't refuse to work with a genuine Honda key.

Don't confuse this eBay "46 chip" key with the Honda clonable key Nacranym and I were discussing. The two are very different. The Honda T5 clonable key doesn't require your car be programmed (cloned) to work. But as far as I know the Honda clonable key is only available for a small number of Honda models and years and I've never run across one that includes an integrated remote.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts