Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on sourcing a plug in wiring harness for a trailer? HandA, etrailer, Honda dealer, autozone, etc were all unable to help.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
This wont work with a 2005. They have a different set up.
as i recall, even the OEM Honda trailer harness for the 2005 models had some issues. it may just have been some manufacturing issue with the harness or something unique about the 2005.
i don't want to scare you, just want you to use some caution in obtaining a harness. and, as lizzurd wrote, you don't have to get the first one you see.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Abbreviated response:

There are three different trailer wiring harnesses depending on model year - 2003-04, 2005-06, and 2007-12.

Honda sold some harnesses for the '05-'06 models with two wires accidentally swapped on the switch/power module that plugs in under the dash.

NONE of the Elements had a functional "plug the pigtail in by the spare tire" setup.

The '05-'06 models had an undersized wire harness for the tail lights. Trailer lights can't just be tapped off of the tail lights without risk of burning out the lights so they need a self powered adapter that powers the trailer lights direct from the battery.

The OEM harness for the '05-'06 model required taking some of the interior trim off to run wire. Only the '07-'12 models had a simple "plug in and go" harness.

This subject is all over the board. Use the Search https://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/search.php function for all you could possible hope for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Abbreviated response:

The '05-'06 models had an undersized wire harness for the tail lights. Trailer lights can't just be tapped off of the tail lights without risk of burning out the lights so they need a self powered adapter that powers the trailer lights direct from the battery.

The OEM harness for the '05-'06 model required taking some of the interior trim off to run wire. Only the '07-'12 models had a simple "plug in and go" harness.

I wonder if modern LED trailer lights, since they draw considerably less current, will work OK without the powered adapter? Just tap into the rear light harness?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts