Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, EOC!

I purchased this Element used a couple of years ago, and I have a very annoying issue with my alarm system. If the temperature drops into the mid to low 20's, when I turn my ignition on, the alarm sounds for a long amount of time and the car won't start. Repeated attempts simply set it off again. No way around it that I know of until the weather warms back up. I don't know what alarm system I have, so I'm providing some photos with hope that someone can tell me what it is or where to look to find out.

Another note about my alarm which may help identify it: When I press the lock button on my remote, the horn beeps once. When I press the unlock button, the horn beeps twice. Quite annoying.

This is attached to the underside of my dash on the driver's side. Whatever plugs into it, I do not have.

Left view: The cylindrical notched thing protruding from the rear of it, I cannot push or turn.

Don't know if this is necessary but just in case, LED on radio:

Don't know if this is necessary either, but...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The thing under the dash is an old anti-theft device that must be disconnected. Used to have a coded plug that fit into it - that when removed, would break the ignition circuit and prevent the car from being started. The LED on the Stereo is just that unit's "warning" that doing a smash and grab, yanking it out of the dash, destroys the internal electronics of the unit, or needs a code to reactivate - so don't bother.

Looks to be an OEM alarm, since you just use the OEM key fob to activate and deactivate it (I could be wrong though). A trip to an alarm installer, or your Honda Dealer seems like the best course of action. Some relay in the alarm or a sensor seems to be shrinking just enough in the cold weather to cause you grief. Maybe they can track it down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Regarding the thing under my dash, it must not be disconnected. I forgot to mention that it flashes and makes a clicking sound while the alarm is going nuts.

I hope you're right about my system being OEM. I'm hoping it's not a KARR, as I've read negative things about them.

Any other takers? I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer, obviously to save cash, plus it's a 60-mile drive. If I can figure out what system I have, perhaps I could find a manual that will tell me how to disarm the alarm during cold weather.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Okay, sounds like that old anti-theft plug thingy is what's causing it - gets cold and a contact in it is shrinking just enough to re-active this old POS. Any decent Car Alarm shop should be familiar with them, and be able to remove it or completely deactivate it, and end you headache. They were used as a security add-on starting in the '90s, before OEM keys had security chips in them. Had one in my old Jeep Cherokee when I lived in El Paso. The auto-theft rate there made them real popular.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts