Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
This car if it does have that low of miles is going to have so many issues. the entire vehicle is going to been over hauled and gone through. If it was not stored correctly even more issues can arise. Not using a vehicle does more damage than putting 100,000+ miles on it. Somebody on BAT is going to get screwed by this BS auction.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
This car if it does have that low of miles is going to have so many issues. the entire vehicle is going to been over hauled and gone through. If it was not stored correctly even more issues can arise. Not using a vehicle does more damage than putting 100,000+ miles on it. Somebody on BAT is going to get screwed by this BS auction.
Considering what's available these days at the dealer, and their prices maybe better the devil you know in this case....Fluid changes around the board are in order for sure. Pump out the tank, add good fuel and put some seafoam thru it just in case. And tires are beyond the recommended service life even if it has sufficient tread depth. But beyond that I'd buy it and just drive it and hope for the best. It's just a matter of acceptable risks and how much one is willing to accept.

It's up to $15,000 this morning !

Happy Thanksgiving !

Reactions: Element95Am

·
Registered
151 Posts
Already at 18500. Will this one hit 30K? It's a good candidate considering the low miles that usually get those kind of crazy offers.
Anyone remember the green one offered here at 17K and owner got comments like are you crazy asking that much and then it sold on BAT for 32K....

·
Registered
407 Posts
I bought a low mileage VW Vanagon once - 7 years, ~10K miles. It was stored outside, in Ohio. Looked pristine. The tires were shot even though there was plenty of tread, found out the hard way, when one blew. The belts were brittle and needed to be replaced. The CV joints were sometimes making noise, turned out the grease in them literally dried out. Was not a worry-free car by any means, I'm sure there were other things that I should have done to it if I had known better. In comparison, the same year Vanagon with ~90K miles that I also had at the time did not have such problems.

You think I'd learn? Well, I bought a 2010 Element with 26K mi for $23K two years ago, a local car from PNW. Seems to have been stored in a garage, seems to have been used continuously but very sparingly, judging from the CarFax reports. Still, replaced the tires and all the fluids. Rear brakes started making noise, but the pads had plenty of meat and there was not much rust that I could see. Replaced the rear pads and rotors. Making a bit of noise I think in one of the rear struts, letting it ride it out. Otherwise so far so good. But an older one, from the rust belt, with much fewer miles, sight unseen, for $27K? Only if I needed a hobby.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts