Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my E since Feb and I've driven it in ice, snow, rain etc... with no issue.

Sunday morning my wife and I were heading off to VT for a few days and en route we wanted to call into an outlet mall. As I got onto the off-ramp the E lost all traction and the back end started to come around. I caught it but over corrected and ended up spinning the other way and we span straight off the road and across the grass median between us and the on coming on-ramp.

Apart from knocking the front driver's side tyre off the rim the car was fine and a local tyre place had us back on the road quite quickly but it was very strange that after 9 months of perfect driving the E was undone by what I can only assume was a wet, greasy off-ramp!

FYI I'm running Yokohama Geolanders.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
errr any car or truck lose's traction sometime ya coulda hit a patch of ice loose shale it could have been anything.fill in ya profile so we know what ya gots...:grin:

·
Registered
873 Posts
me thinks he got's a load in his drawors,other than that probly ice or oil slick.might need to practice on a skid track to get better at not over corecting witch is useuly worse than the slide was going to be.thankful it turned out allright.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good god, it's a little early to be drinking isn't it? What the heck, I'll have one too. one blooody maury pleese. not to spiecey butt gimme too aulives.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
I don't see a question here, so it's just a report, a warning to others?

The fact that "AWD" is in the title makes me wonder if the OP thinks that should make a difference. Of course it doesn't; AWD is beside the point when braking.

Take a slippery ramp too fast, and you will slide. No mystery there.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't see a question here, so it's just a report, a warning to others?

The fact that "AWD" is in the title makes me wonder if the OP thinks that should make a difference. Of course it doesn't; AWD is beside the point when braking.

Take a slippery ramp too fast, and you will slide. No mystery there.

I had the same thoughts. Entering a curve too fast, braking and slippery road conditions-----a recipe for your result. All the technology in the world won't save you from that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if the rear end starts to slid in a FWD (which even an AWD element is from a handling perspective), the proper reaction is to give it gas. I'm guessing that the OP lifted off instead meaning that even if you do catch it, there is no real weight over the rear wheels to allow the rear end to bite again.

Glad to hear you're ok, be safe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ultimately a cautionary tale, I've never had a car lose traction like that. It didn't feel like I was going excessively fast and the E is normally very sure footed!?!?!?

Out of interest do the 2005 Elements have traction/stability control?

As a discussion point, does a variable drive system like that on the Element potentially cause more problems in certain scenarios? I'm think along the lines of losing traction and correcting as if the car were FWD but the system 'kicking in' and sending power to the rear suddenly making the car 4WD?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Ultimately a cautionary tale, I've never had a car lose traction like that. It didn't feel like I was going excessively fast and the E is normally very sure footed!?!?!?

Out of interest do the 2005 Elements have traction/stability control?

As a discussion point, does a variable drive system like that on the Element potentially cause more problems in certain scenarios? I'm think along the lines of losing traction and correcting as if the car were FWD but the system 'kicking in' and sending power to the rear suddenly making the car 4WD?
No traction control in the 05 model year.

There is some chance of the application of power to the rear, causing a spin. That is usually not an issue if the front's have not already lost traction. From the sounds of things, you had already hit a slick spot. The E had started to slide. In those conditions, the cause in normally Excessive speed. Or an extremely slippery surface. Did any other cars slide in the same spot? It's obvious you were there for a wile. So you had time to see if others were having trouble.

The other thing is the tire coming off. That leads me to believe that the inflation in that tire was not high enough.

When racing, Tires with low inflation will lose the bead seal. It often happens when off roading with reduced tire pressure. It's a sure sign of low inflation.

That in and of itself may have been a contributing factor to the spin.

Dom

·
Registered
178 Posts
Another thing to consider is if the AWD engaged the distribution of power to all tires can actually hinder your ability to regain control through throwing more power at it. I think we've all lost control of our cars at least once in our lifetime and I agree that more power is sometimes the answer. The problem is the AWD will often take the power you need and depend on away from you and distribute it where you don't need it. The video recently posted on AWD comparisons by makers should give you a pretty good idea of what I'm tying to refer to.

Just be glad your ok bo ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts