Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 2WD EX 4 Speed Automatic

I read through alot of posts that say to get the rear diff fluids replaced every 30k miles.

Would the dealer have done that before reselling a Honda lease vehicle? I found the helpful info on how to do it myself but I wanted to check to make sure it should have been done before. They have a worklog for my vehicle since it was a lease with one owner so i wanted to confirm before I make any assumptions.

The sound sounds like the tires but I can't tell if its the tire or the rear diff because I have never heard it before.

Also I'm starting to hear clicking when turning the wheel left in the morning.

I just hit 79'000 miles. Should I be replacing the CV Shafts/Joints by now?

I purchased the vehicle at around 54k for reference.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
You don't have a rear diff if you have a 2WD model.

The rear diff is AWD (RT4wd, 4WD) only.

Do you have a factory sun roof?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sir. It is the plain jane EX. If thats the case then I have another issue. It doesn't need a read diff because its FWD right?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
No sir. It is the plain jane EX. If thats the case then I have another issue. It doesn't need a read diff because its FWD right?
Yup...another issue. Maybe tires or something like you mentioned earlier. "clicking" could be CV joints. You're pretty low miles for CV joints though. Take a look at the power steering fluid.....change it if look dirty....prolly looks like rootbeer by now. It might not help, but it can't hurt.

For future refrence....(Pre '09 or so) Sunroof is any AWD -trim level doesn't matter. The LX or even DX is the "plain" model...the EX is the top.

Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. I recorded some of the noise. I'll post it maybe you can tell. Thanks for the version info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive had the same problem with the clicking noise while turning. The problem just stated this winter on my 05 auto ex 45,000 miles, but only when its 40 degrees and below. Warmer weather and everything is dandy. I changed the power steering fluid and the noise is still there. I went to the extent of bringing back to the dealer paying the 100 diagnostic fee and they couldnt figure it out either, both boots are intact and the mechanic couldnt help me out at all. It's a helluva mystery so if you get some answers lemme know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Compliance Bushings and Rear Tire Worn

I took my E to a shop that specializes in Honda repair and the tech found that my Compliance bushings were worn and one was all the way through. The noise was coming from a rear tire that had patchy wear spots.

I am thinking the compliance bushings should have been changed either when the E was at the dealership.

Can anybody tell me when they are normally supposed to be changed as this was a lease vehicle when I purchased it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool

Alrighty thanks. I managed to find the service bulletin. I'd change them myself if they didn't have to be pressed in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any info? Have same problem

Ive had the same problem with the clicking noise while turning. The problem just stated this winter on my 05 auto ex 45,000 miles, but only when its 40 degrees and below. Warmer weather and everything is dandy. I changed the power steering fluid and the noise is still there. I went to the extent of bringing back to the dealer paying the 100 diagnostic fee and they couldnt figure it out either, both boots are intact and the mechanic couldnt help me out at all. It's a helluva mystery so if you get some answers lemme know.
Did you find anything out about this? I have the same issue on the left front ('05 EX manual 2WD) when temp is <30F and the car is cold. No boot issue (I inspect them on each oil change). Noise happens when only dead cold, on a sharp turn and acceleration.

No other noise when warm and on a right turn @ >45mph.

Anyone, ballpark on std cost for CV joint replacement (I assume both sides).

Thanks

-Wes Yates

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Compliance Bushings

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/online/part-images/Illustration/464992.png

I found another thread while I was looking around but it didn't answer any of my questions either so I posted my own thread. I ended up taking my car to another Honda service center before I went to my dealer.

In my case the metal is hitting metal when turning due to one of my compliance bushings being completely gone. It started with turning the wheel early in the morning to the right while pulling out of a parking lot. It will also sometimes click while braking because the suspension is slipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do you replace the Compliance bush?

can someone explain how to replace the bushing? the Honda dealer wants $500 to replace it.

thanks
Donn
Tracy,Ca

·
Registered
41 Posts
Were you getting this noise when you just were turning or turning and pulling on to flat road off of a slope? Or when going straight down a rutted road where one tire goes down and the other doesn't? Because I've got a noise that sort of creaks and pops in the front when I do these things and I'm trying to figure out if it's the same thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts