Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster. :)

I am the proud owner of a 2005 element with 115K miles.
All is well and I love my truck.......until recently.
The high beams don't work at all. Low beams operate just fine. As soon as you click to use high, darkness.
It would be nice if I could fix this on my own. Is there anyone out there that has had this happen to them before? Can you fix it?
Any and all suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to dumb this topic down but what's the best way to check and be sure with the bulbs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem. No high beams on either side and no high beam indicator on dash. I pulled both bulbs and all four filaments showed continuity. I followed suggestions on another thread and with the headlight bulb plugged into the socket and high beams on, I grounded the red wire with the blue stripe by putting a wire in the back of the socket and touching a motor bolt. The high beam came on. I pulled the connector at the fuse box and the red wire with the blue stripe and connections looked OK. I pulled the connector at the combination switch and again the red wire with the blue stripe and connections looked OK. I checked continuity from the combination switch connector to the headlight connector on the red wire with the blue stripe and it tested OK. I pulled the combination switch (two screws and a hard tug) and it looked OK. I ordered a new combination switch ($28 + $12 shipping and handling), installed it, and the problem was fixed. I disassembled the combination switch, but I could not see an obvious problem. I did not have a wiring diagram, so I was not sure how to diagnose the problem. But, a new combination switch fixed the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts