Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I misplaced my key and remote entry. I still have another key and remote as well as my valet key. When I bought my Element (used certified in 2008) it had a key and remote in the owners manual folder from the dealer. It will not start the vehicle. It does crank, but no start. The remote does not open the doors either. It needs to be programmed. Can key be programmed without going to the dealer? How is it done? Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
599 Posts
The key has to be done at the dealer but the remote can be done at home. I don't have the link handy but you can search the forum for programming instructions.

Don't let the dealer rip you off to program the key, if you play your cards right they shouldn't charge you anything, especially considering it was the one they included with the car when you bought it. Check the valet key as well to see if it works.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
also if you cant start it with either key there is some crazy a$$ "limp mode" that they can give you the sequence for to get the truck back to the dealership without a coded immobilizer key. see page six of the attached document.

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
also if you cant start it with either key there is some crazy a$$ "limp mode" that they can give you the sequence for to get the truck back to the dealership without a coded immobilizer key. see page six of the attached document.
That is awesome! A royal pain in the ass but I had often wondered what you'd have to do if you lost all your keys. Certainly better than towing but the way it reads it sounds like they need to plug the programmer into the car to get the Immobilizer Brake Code which means it doesn't do you much good if you're not near a dealer/shop with a programmer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts