Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like my '05 Element, bought it used in 09 for $13,000 w/78k miles; a year later 99k miles, I noticed the "backseat" doors on both sides are bubbling/rusting at the bottom.:evil: Is this a common problem? I would hate to pay for auto-body work that doesn't prevent a reoccurrence of corrosion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paint looked intact...

until it bubbled and now it's rusting. I bought my Element used from Toyota of Nashua but have had it serviced at Peters, a local Honda dealership. When I take it in for the state inspection I'll see what they have for suggestions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have an 04 with 150k driven in the heart of the chicago salt saturated winter and i have no problems with rust. Sounds fishy to me, like there has been some shoddy body work on the doors.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Honda has a rust warranty of 60 months/unlimited miles on their cars. You're not too far out of that.

Talk to the dealer and see if they'll be willing to work with you.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,829 Posts
Sounds like someone covered up parking lot dings or similar damage, and did a bad job of paint prep and priming.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been thinking about this since I first saw this post and I had the same thought as Gary. I mean we use salt like crazy around here in the winter and mine is 7 years old with one little spot of rust on the rear hatch where the paint got scratched.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a chance that the doors didn't get enough primer and/or paint on them from the factory. I've seen cars with 15k miles on them and the doors are rusted. But it is much more common from the American car companies. Your best bet is to get it taken care of asap before the rust comes through the face of the doors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts