Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am a new owner of a 2005 E. It has 55k on it. This is the most user friendly car I've ever owned but...within the last week (I've owned it for two months) while driving at freeway speeds, it will start to buck, jerk, miss...especially with a load on it..like going up a grade. I will only be able to keep a little bit of throttle on it, or it will act like it's running out of fuel. Eventually it will slow me down so much that I have to pull over. Now...once I pull over and shut it off it will start up and run fine ...for a few miles, then start it all over again. I realized that if when it starts to buck, jerk, miss if I turn the key off and back on instantantly, it will run perfect for a short while..then do it again..this sounds "elecrtical" to me????? Anybody come across this situation?? Thanks in advance for your help. Mike

·
Registered
523 Posts
Take it somewhere to have the codes read or buy a code reader somewhere. My vote is that it isn't electrical. Jerking and stalling sounds like transmission issues. Maybe it is a bad sensor. I am sure some more experienced folks will chime in.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It does sound like a low fuel pressue issue. Get the codes checked and if its a multible misfire issue that would most likly be the fuel pump or tank filter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My vote (and this is just a wild guess) goes to a fuel issue. Maybe a clogged filter...
I agree with you presto88...sounds like something in the fuel (water). I have had this happen to me, not with the E, but with other vehicles. I put a gallon of isopropol alcohol in the tank and the problem went away. Presto! OOPS.:D

·
Registered
874 Posts
dont sound like water in fuel if it works fine when key is turned off then on,but does sound like fuel pump and or sock cloged in tank.change filters .if that dont do it probly need to drop tank to check for cloged sock(something in tank,rag,bag,goo.)or just a bad pump.if it were electrickel most of the time its on or off then wires start melting from to much restance in circut. dont for get a good fuel injector cleaner such as lucas or chevron techron.the cheep ones(.99-3.00 )don't do much. is this why the E was sold? have you pissed off somebody? or bad luck? possiable just bad pump.good luck,no smoaking,fire extengwisher, ventalation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the stalling when cold issue and did the valve adjust.

Problem 100% solved!!

All exhaust valves and one intake valve were ridiculously tight. Having made the adjustments my element is running perfectly and smoother at idle than new.

Brian in Atascadero, CA
2007 Honda element, manual transmission

·
Registered
18 Posts
throttle position sensor (TPS)

when we got our daughters 04 element, we drove it all the way to Florida bucking,jerking. tried all sorts of stuff on the way, inj.cleaner, heet etc. until we got it to Coggin honda in Orlando and they put a tester sensor on it while driving so they could read results when it bucked,it showed that the TPS was the culprit and we had it replaced and it never did it again. So you could have that tested. let us know what you find out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts