Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the factory trailer wiring harness for my 2005 element. I followed the instructions perfect, but it is not working correctly.
The trailer lights will only come on when I turn on my headlights, but the brake lights and turn signals do not work at all.
What is up with this? I know I installed it correct, I am very mechanically inclined.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would use a voltmeter to check that each of the OEM plug connector's pins is working properly if you are sure you installed the harnes correctly to it.

·
Retired.
12,181 Posts
I just installed the factory trailer wiring harness for my 2005 element. I followed the instructions perfect, but it is not working correctly.
The trailer lights will only come on when I turn on my headlights, but the brake lights and turn signals do not work at all.
What is up with this? I know I installed it correct, I am very mechanically inclined.

Does anyone have any ideas?

There was a recall a few years back on 2005's for the harness. The harnessed were incorrectly wired from the factory which could cause the turn signals and brake lights to work incorrectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trailer wiring harness

I just installed the factory honda trailer wiring harness on my 2005 element.
I followed all the instructions exactly, it took a little while but not too bad.
I have everything done, but when I plug the trailer lights up I do not get brake lights or turn signals. I do get running lights when I turn my headlights on, but that is it! What could be the problem? I have tried it on three different trailers and I know the lights work on those trailers with my other vehicles. I even got a little plug in tester.
Can anyone help me with this?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
So what does the plug in tester say? Does your connector have power or is it not getting power? If the tester says it's working but the trailer isn't lighting up, either you're not getting a good connection in the flat 4 pin plug or the trailer harnesses aren't grounded.

If the tester says no power, then you could have anything from a defective kit to missing inline fuses to bad wiring splices if it used them. Do the brake lights work on the Honda now? You might have missing ground connection in the trailers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tester shows the same results as the actual trailer lights.
I called Honda and they did not want to help unless I bring it up there, he said they it would be a $100.00 a hour. His exact words.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You did install the underhood fuse, right? I'd check that, and the fuse that is in the underdash harness you installed!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
You did install the underhood fuse, right? I'd check that, and the fuse that is in the underdash harness you installed!
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13518

Refer to this thread and especially #8 in the instructions about putting the fuse in the box under the hood. Is the fuse in the right place and is it burnt out?

BTW, it took Google to find that. The search here wouldn't bring up the thread at all and I don't know why.

Here's another one with lots of info.

http://handa-accessories.com/element/05hitch.pdf

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah, many of us with the 2005s struggled with the trailer harness issue...especially the third-party vs. Honda certified harness(es).

Here's a rather enlightening thread specific to the '05: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55674&highlight=harness

After putz'ing with it for over a week -yanking it in and out, troubleshooting and getting frustrated- I opted to allow Honda to do my install using the factory harness. It was then that I discovered the third party cable I was trying to use didn't even take into account the factory-required "mystery harness" that runs from behind the driver's seat to the fuse panel. Go figure.

At the end of the day, it cost me just under $200 - but when one of the connectors went south under my rear floor panel, Honda replaced it for free.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will start off by saying that I know I have everthing installed correctly.

I tested the turn signals, brake and running lights coming from the car plug and it all worked great. I then plugged up the harnes and then unplugged the plug to the black box. I tested it and got the running lights to work but nothing else. I then proceeded to push and move some of the wires around in the plug, then the turn signals and brake lights started working.
I then plugged it back into the black box and check the plug under the seat, but now all I am getting is the running lights.
Could something be wrong with the black box or do you all think that they are some problems with the wires and the connections at the plugs.
I am planning on testing the conductivity of the wires tonight just to see if the power is making it from one end to the other.
Keep your fingers crossed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts