Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, still loving my E. I can actually say that I made my first car sale even though I am not a car salesman. A friend of mine was so impressed with my 05 that he went out and got a 2010. Of course, all that new E goodness had me drooling so the question is, should we upgrade to a 2010/2011 if and when that comes out?

I do know that one of the major flaws with the 05 is front seat safety, a lot of movement in crash tests and they firmed the seats up front since then. Also, even though the windshield crack thing was supposed to be fixed in the earlier models, we have a cracked windshield right where the weld joint is as the crack started there, and not from a rock.

So with that, what sort of things would I notice in a newer model? Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Sam

·
Registered
724 Posts
Honestly, it really all depends; can you handle a lot of the new changes garnered in the new generation of E?

I never realized just how many tweaks and changes Honda has made, most of them minor, with the new Gen of E.

I'd say stop by your local dealer and test drive it first.

·
Registered
816 Posts
samiam,,,do test drive the new e...alot of members here do wish they had there older e's back due to the new changes,,,and others are very happy,,

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did

I traded a 2005 for an 09. Both AWD EX. A few thoughts...

No change in reliability - both excellent.
Love the NAV, but aftermarket systems are slightly better. If I went aftermarket, it would be an in-dash also.
09 does not have sunroof - don't miss it one bit.
I think the seatbelts were more comfy in 05. Mostly solved with extender.
TPMS nice gadget. Winter show tires on separate rims means idiot light is on all winter. Covered with post-it. Traction assist and ABS still works fine. Used same 15" OEM rims and they fit fine.
Backup camera is handy.
Trailer wiring easy to do.
Mileage slightly better (1 mpg) on average.

When I bought, there were huge incentives from Honda, the dealer, and IRS (sales tax). It made my cost of ownership for my 05 equivalent to about $150/month and was just too good of a deal to walk away from.
If I had waited until now (a year later) the deal would have been about $3000-4000 higher.

Absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I like a lot of the original features (2003-2005) of the Element before they transitioned to new seat belts and ultimately gave the E a facelift...

I have 75K on my 2004 4WD EX and have no plans to get a new one anytime soon... I will probably take a look when the 2nd generation Es come out in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm honestly surprised at all the complaints about the integrated seatbelt. So many cars have gone to that because it's generally safer. Also, I can't imagine how much of a P.I.A. it must be to take off my seat belt to open the back door at let someone in or out.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
from a safety stand point I thought the only thing they improved on was rear seat safety with the use of side curtain air bags. The '05s had 5 stars for both front seats.

Too me the changes of the E will keep me from trading up. I love the older styles more than the face lift. No rear sunroof = no deal. I actually use it all the time and my kids love it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm honestly surprised at all the complaints about the integrated seatbelt. So many cars have gone to that because it's generally safer. Also, I can't imagine how much of a P.I.A. it must be to take off my seat belt to open the back door at let someone in or out.
Trust me, I feel the very same way.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It's the downward tug on the shoulder at every little bump that becomes annoying. (tall folks)

Like to hear more about that seat belt extender Andy14120 talks about.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only complaint I have with my new 2010 is no dark interior choices. The light colored fabric appears to be a woven vinyl or something cleanable, but would still prefer a dark color. I do put a light colored wash cloth on the arm rest to use under my sometimes sweaty arm, since I figure that will look dirty real soon otherwise. Not one problem so far. Nothing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Like to hear more about that seat belt extender Andy14120 talks about.
Came across one given out for free by GM to a Trailblazer owner. It is about 12" long and has a male and female end. Main benefit is to move the point where it folds back away from the place it clicks in, toward the door. That changes the angle across your chest. Makes the shoulder part more vertical to sit on your shoulder and off your neck area

·
Registered
662 Posts
Came across one given out for free by GM to a Trailblazer owner. It is about 12" long and has a male and female end. Main benefit is to move the point where it folds back away from the place it clicks in, toward the door. That changes the angle across your chest. Makes the shoulder part more vertical to sit on your shoulder and off your neck area
Could you possibly get us a part number on that thing?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm with HotRodder on this one...! Can the Mods possibly help us out...?

LBD

·
Registered
145 Posts
Part number is not known. Friend simply went to the Chevy parts counter when his Trailblazer was in for service and asked for it. They gave two to him. No paperwork or cost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts