Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was hoping that I would not have to write this post and that I would find the answer I needed somewhere on here but unfortunately I'm more confused than ever.

I recently purchased a bass fishing boat and the trailer has lights that I need to connect to for safety obviously. However, the more I read , the more confused I become.

My initial plan was to just go to uhaul and have them install the wiring harness but then I read that they use sketchy methods that may lead to more wiring problems down the road.

Then I read that if I want to do it myself then I need to be prepared to remove the front seat and do all these other things that I have no business doing.

So I am here with hat in hand asking anyone with this type of knowledge to please help point me in the right direction. I am not super handy but I can handle basic instructions.

Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
You'll find a lot of messages about the U-haul wiring but if you look closer, you'll find a lot of those warnings were posted years back. Yes, it's true that some U-Haul stores do make a mess of the wiring but many do a fine job. What you need is a trailer wiring adapter that draws its power directly from the battery instead of sharing the power directly from the rear lights. This is true of a lot of newer cars now so many dealers stock an adapter with the power wire to the battery. You'll just have to ask the dealer how they do the wiring before you buy from them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to help.

I think I''ll start calling some of the local Uhauls to see if they in fact use that type adapter.

Do you think that this type of job would be over my head if I bought the correct kit? I'm just curious.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

OK, so I did call the local UHaul affiliate which also happens to be a tire & battery place as well. They will supply and install the wiring harness for roughly $150.

I did ask him if the wiring was done directly from the battery or if the wiring it done from the lights themselves and he said that it is powered from he battery.

So, I have no idea if this is a reasonable price or not, if anyone could let me know, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was it difficult to install?
No problems on the Install. I placed the Module behind the Left Taillight assembly and ran the Power Wire down and along side the Frame Rail up the the Battery for the connection.

https://images.etrailer.com/static/images/video/Demo-Tow-Ready-Wiring-119147KIT.webm

So as if this problem weren't confusing already when I went looking at what I had in place for wiring it looks like I have the exact same setup needed for the plug and tow package etrailer sells its number one 18465 I've got the 10 prong plug in the front and the dummy plug in the back so I don't know what is going on it almost looks like someone put that wiring package together before I bought it and now it's got a tow ready wiring package as if it were a 2010. I will post a picture of the plug that's in the back - hopefully tha will help solve this mystery.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and I was able to get a picture of the 2 plugs that I have under the front dash. The picture of the rear plug is in my last post.

So the question is with those two plugs available and installed in my car can I purchase and install the etrailer 118465 Plug and play unit?

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Tekonsha/118465.html

It says it will only work with a 2010 but I think that someone who own this car before me may be installed some of this wiring but I don't know wiring very well so I can't tell and need someone's help.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
So as if this problem weren't confusing already when I went looking at what I had in place for wiring it looks like I have the exact same setup needed for the plug and tow package etrailer sells its number one 18465 I've got the 10 prong plug in the front and the dummy plug in the back so I don't know what is going on it almost looks like someone put that wiring package together before I bought it and now it's got a tow ready wiring package as if it were a 2010. I will post a picture of the plug that's in the back - hopefully tha will help solve this mystery.
The front and rear harnesses come equipped from the factory. You need the Honda accessory wiring kit to finish the install.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So does that mean that I won't be able to Simply plug the unit into the two harnesses in the front and the rear and that I'm going to have to do wiring instead?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
So does that mean that I won't be able to Simply plug the unit into the two harnesses in the front and the rear and that I'm going to have to do wiring instead?
This is spelled out in a good many threads already but the confusing part for some new users is this: The '03-04 models used one setup, the '05-06 had a different setup, and the '07-end used a third. Only the '07 and newer had the simple "plug in and go" system. Before that, you HAD to add wires between the front and the back of the car to use the factory setup - or use the universal setup like U-haul's which taps in behind one of the tail lights and runs a power wire up to the battery.

BTW: If you want to check on ANY recalls left undone for your car, this govt website will take your VIN number and list any uncompleted recalls.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
First and foremost let me thank you for the information it's extremely helpful.

Next here's where I guess I get a little confused, when I watch the video on etrailer.com and watch the installation of number one 118465 / https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Tekonsha/118465.html / it looks identical to the plug that I have in at least the rear and I thought identical to the plug I have in the front.

Both plugs are shown in pictures I posted in previous postings on this thread. So my question is this I guess based on those pictures that I posted of the plug in the front and the plug in the back am I able to plug in a unit and be done with it or do I need to do wiring?

I had thought that I would simply be able to plug in a unit in the back and the plug touchman in the rear and that would be it just like the video for the installation of etrailer unit 118465.

So can anyone tell me if I will be able to do this or do I need to do wiring like the previous post ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts