Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3 days ago I got gas. Started the car, took foot off the gas to put on the brake to drop into drive and the car stalled. Started the car again, same result. Started the car probably 7-8 times at the gas pump always with the same result, as soon as I took my foot off the gas pedal it would stall out. Finally got going by using left foot on brake, keeping right on the gas pedal when dropping into gear. Car stalled another 5-6 times on the way home. Today (Monday) after having set idle since Thursday the car starts and idles just fine without my foot on gas pedal. The battery and alternator were replaced 8-9 months ago by the Honda dealer. Anyone have any hints about what might be wrong. Hate to go to the dealer for repair without any idea as to what is causing the problem.

2006 Element EXP, Front wheel drive, 181,000 miles, original owner who loves his E.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Did this just start all at once? Start off with the most predictable cause:
When did you last have the valves adjusted? If you say "never" at that mileage, you've got a good possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There have been a few times where the car would not start at all when I first tried turning the ignition key. As if the battery were completely dead. Then after turning the key once or twice it would start, but there was no stalling like I experienced the other day.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
But you have no warning lights on the dash? Most of the problems that would cause your symptoms would show a "check engine" light. What about your valve adjustment?
My thought is that the starting issue is another problem.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sounds a lot like your IACV needs a cleaning out. Well, that’s my internet wild swing at a diagnosis without seeing the car,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don’t feel it’s a valve issue 298k on mine and never touched the valves May have to run some live data using a scan tool if your not getting a check engine light. Could be a few hour diag at a shop. But to be honest that’s happened to me just recently. Died while driving. No CEL, Started and took off driving and hasn’t repeated.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Don’t feel it’s a valve issue 298k on mine and never touched the valves
You're running a dangerous game if you went that long without at least checking them. There's no way to know how tight or loose they are without taking the top off and using feeler gauges but Honda recommends checking them somewhere past about 110,000 miles and then about 90K ever after. It's something I never had to worry about in the past since I always had GM engines with hydraulic lifters but these Honda engines will self-destruct without periodic adjusting. The natural life of them is that they slowly get out of spec as the metal wears and the first inkling that your exhaust valves are too far off is when they start burning up and your idle goes wonky. Then it gets expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Desinia, so you recommend I take it to my Honda dealer and ask for a valve adjustment to be done? This is ignorance asking this question since I've never had the top off of any engine of any car I have ever owned and I have owned cars for the past 57 years. (Dang, I am getting old.) Any idea of what a ball park cost this is going to be? So far this has not happened again...fortunately, but I am fearful of taking any long haul trips in it. I really appreciate this forum, there is always some good info on it. Wish we could force Honda to come up with a 2020 or 21 Element.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Here's a link to several good discussions on this board about valve adjustment. You -could- have several other things causing your present problems yes, but those things won't destroy your engine if you don't get them done.

This board USED TO have a devoted section for some great "how-to" articles including one on valve adjusting but things like that were pretty much tossed in to chaos by this new [bleep!] software. If you know what to look for, it looks like a lot is still available but it's not nearly as useful these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts