Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post:smile: My 2006 element had the rear rotors replaced at 5,500 miles. Today, at 20,000 miles the front rotors resurfaced and new pads. The E is 3 months out of warranty. The dealership wanted no part of a warranty discussion. I called Honda in CA - no luck there. Why are these rotors going bad so soon on this vehicle?:confused:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
First of all welcome to the club and fill out your profile so we know what you have and where you are. It depends on how you drive or possibly the calipers sticking. I just got some new rotors and pads for mine but at 75000 the front are at 75% worn and the rears are at 60% worn. Others also have had brake wearing out prematurely.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
My first post:smile: My 2006 element had the rear rotors replaced at 5,500 miles. Today, at 20,000 miles the front rotors resurfaced and new pads. The E is 3 months out of warranty. The dealership wanted no part of a warranty discussion. I called Honda in CA - no luck there. Why are these rotors going bad so soon on this vehicle?:confused:
My 06 is still showing 65% front and 60% rear remaining, after 48K. I had to replace the rear pads on the wifes 05 E with only 28K on them.

There are many factors that come into play with Rotors and pads. If you live in an area with dusty or sandy conditions. You will find that it has an effect on the parts. City driving, driving style, automatic or standard and speed all come into play.

As has been stated, every car/driver combination will use parts at different rates.

Dom

·
Registered
428 Posts
You did not indicated why the rear rotors was replaced, warped rotor, any other mechanical reason?

Also, any specific mechanical reason front rotors are resurfaced? or it was just recommend by technician as part of brake replacement?

I am actually never fan of resurfaced. I normally just replace rotor, if I see any significant warped or any other damaging. Brand new pair of front rotors are approx. $140 from Honda, & cheaper from Autozone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rotors resurfaced

Resurfaced the rotors because I felt pulsating on the pedal and steering wheel upon braking. New pads were recommended. Honda said the rotors were a little warped, but that I could have driven many more miles before resurfacing. That's not me - if something's wrong I fix it right away. I still think at 20,000 miles it's odd that the rotor's warped at all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not really, rotors can warp nearly the first day you drive it, but its nearly undetectable. The warping over time increases as the heat/cool cycle applied to the rotor goes on with time. warping can become an issue when it creates gaps where the pads don't touch, or touch in a limited way. This causes pitting and rust to build up and increases the above alot, there by increasing the pitting. Warping of rotors can happen really quickly if you don't drive vehicle for an extended period and rust develops, if your wheels are not torqued down correctly if you have aluminum rims, or you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic. And of course the famous metal on metal when brake pads are worn away.
Turning down rotors trues them back up but also takes a small amount of material with them, in turn you may actually warp your rotors faster over the next 20k as there would have been wear anyway at that point. You always put new pads on when you resurface the rotors, or you wasting time and money. For about the last decade I just put new rotors once the pads wear out twice although I am a not expecting to get a lot of life on the second of pads before warping gets bad. I also don't cut rotors anymore as they are often at or near the bottom end of specs for cutting, not to mention its often easier to put new rotors on.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts