Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

thanks in advance for your help.

Im trying to install a Clarion HU in my 06 LX. I'm absolutely lost.

I have removed the stock stereo and cut the wires from the harness. That's about it. I haven't been able find a wiring code diagram for this particular model.

Can anyone help. So far i've only managed to burn a fuse out, and i'm not even sure how i've accomplished that much.

thanks again.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You shouldn't have to cut any wires. What you need to do is unplug the plug from the factory unit. From there you need a wire harness from an aftermarket manufacture (sosche, or metra). That then plugs into the factory plug. You splice the wires from the wire harness to the wires from the plug from your new radio. If you can take a picture of what you've done so far that might be helpful. If you have actually cut off the factory plug you should be able to splice the plug back on and go from there.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
You shouldn't have to cut any wires. What you need to do is unplug the plug from the factory unit. From there you need a wire harness from an aftermarket manufacture (sosche, or metra). That then plugs into the factory plug. You splice the wires from the wire harness to the wires from the plug from your new radio. If you can take a picture of what you've done so far that might be helpful. If you have actually cut off the factory plug you should be able to splice the plug back on and go from there.
x2

put it back together and then put a harness on it.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I have removed the stock stereo and cut the wires from the harness.
Nooooooooo!
When will people realize that an $8 wiring harness adapter will make things so much easier.
Splice that factory harness back on and get yourself an adapter. You'll thank me and wonder why you always did it the hard way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumbness acknowledged

i acknowledge my dumbness and/or stupidity. But why is that such a big deal, i've always cut off factory harness' and spliced the existing wires on the new HU harness, i've done that for the last three cars i've owned. Am i missing something?? Is there something specific to the element which is different from others?

Also, now that the damage is done, is there a place that sells factory harnesses? I cut pretty close to the harness and I'm afraid I wont be able to re-splice.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I don't know that there's anything in particular thats horrible about it, just majorly inconveniencing. If you do the aftermarket plug you can connect the two plugs outside of the vehicle. For example much easier to solder them. You also have much more of a lead to work with. If you make any mistakes or have to do multiple installs, you just shorten the lead on the aftermarket plug wires rather than on the wires actually coming out of the car. If they get too short, you can just get a new plug. The plug is just very much worth the 8 bucks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
As far as the plug goes you can check Majestic Honda and see if you can get that part of the wiring harness. It may be pretty pricey though as you might have to buy the whole thing.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Check out this thread:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3065
It'll probably have all the info you need. Otherwise you're screwed.
And no, you can't buy just the radio plug. You'll have to buy the entire dash wiring harness, which is going to set you back a nice chunk of change.

I've done the factory slice and dice thing too. But after using an aftermarket adapter harness I realized that this was THE way to go.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Check out this thread:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3065
It'll probably have all the info you need. Otherwise you're screwed.
And no, you can't buy just the radio plug. You'll have to buy the entire dash wiring harness, which is going to set you back a nice chunk of change.

I've done the factory slice and dice thing too. But after using an aftermarket adapter harness I realized that this was THE way to go.
metra 71-1721

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=71-1721

google

ebay

where ever. but you really should put it back together, then use the 70-1721 harness to do it right. although we are all probably capable of showing you how to do it the hack way, none of us advocate it so it will be harder to extract then the correct method.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The only other thing I can think of if you don't have enough wire on the cut plug to splice it back would be to see if you can find a totaled/wrecked/junkyard E and cut the plug out of that with enough wire to fix the 'situation'.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The only other thing I can think of if you don't have enough wire on the cut plug to splice it back would be to see if you can find a totaled/wrecked/junkyard E and cut the plug out of that with enough wire to fix the 'situation'.
replace the 70 with 71 in practically every metra harness out there and you will have the stock into factory radio side harness.

·
Registered
877 Posts
replace the 70 with 71 in practically every metra harness out there and you will have the stock into factory radio side harness.
Yep Yoda, you're (obviously not a) Professional Car Audio & Security Guy ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you guys ROCK!

okay, a solution i can get behind.

So basically get the 71-1721 and the 70 and i should be all set, correct??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I stand corrected oh wiring god.

I wasn't thinking outside the OEM Honda box.
Yep Yoda, you're (obviously not a) Professional Car Audio & Security Guy ;-)
Too many years doing the same thing leave one being a wealth of useless information, until the information presents itself as useful.;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
success!!

I just want to thank all you guys for the help. The Metra harness's worked.

I had a weird thing though, i think i somehow fried the factory battery lead (not sure if I'm reffering to it correctly, the yellow wire which feeds power to the HU). It took me quite a while to figure that out, but i ran a cord from the fuse box to the correct wire and it turned on, so that kind of explained the problem.

Once that was figured out, i ran a wire from the fuse box under the hood, in a spare fuse spot, under the left quarter panel and into the interior to the back of the radio. I also soldered all my connections, a first for me. That was kinda cool.

Ran all the wires necessary to complete install, the amp lead from battery back, remote turn on and rca output to for the amp. Any suggestions for how to run the wires once i get them into the back area? How do you guys run the wires to the sub and amp from opposite sides? Do they just go over the floor, under the floor?

Thanks again, i'll try to post some pics of my basic install.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I had a weird thing though, i think i somehow fried the factory battery lead (not sure if I'm reffering to it correctly, the yellow wire which feeds power to the HU). It took me quite a while to figure that out, but i ran a cord from the fuse box to the correct wire and it turned on, so that kind of explained the problem.

Once that was figured out, i ran a wire from the fuse box under the hood, in a spare fuse spot, under the left quarter panel and into the interior to the back of the radio. I also soldered all my connections, a first for me. That was kinda cool.
underhood fuse box fuse 9 10 amp fuse. replacing that will fix your problem. it more then likely occured when you chopped off the factory plug :)

Ran all the wires necessary to complete install, the amp lead from battery back, remote turn on and rca output to for the amp. Any suggestions for how to run the wires once i get them into the back area? How do you guys run the wires to the sub and amp from opposite sides? Do they just go over the floor, under the floor?
it depends on where you are planning on mounting your sub and amp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Amp location

it depends on where you are planning on mounting your sub and amp.
I'm thinking behind the back row, driver seat side. The sub is nothing big, 10" MTX in a regular sized enclosure. How do you guys suggest that i keep it from sliding around? I have thought of going to Lowe's/Home Depot, and seeing if they have any small plastic L brackets i can attach to the floor somehow at each bottom corner of the sub box. Thoughts??

thanks guys!!

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
So are you sold on the adapter harnesses now for any future installs? Amazing how much easier those make things, huh? :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts