Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just bought this 2007 this weekend from the dealer. Got a great price but am now wondering if I got shafted instead. Maybe I just don't understand the Honda Element automatic transmission. I'm hoping to get some insight from the forum.

The problem is that the automatic tranny seems to downshift an awful lot while driving. I don't mean a full downshift but feather touches to the pedal seem to cause it to jump 300-400 rpm. It's something that I'm not sure most would notice - it's that kind of subltety. It's most noticeable between 50-70 mph and being driven with cruisee control off. It just pops down a notch for a few seconds then shifts back again, all very quietly and without a lot of fanfare. Is this common to Element trannies? Is it something I shouldn't worry about?

The E had 87000 miles on it, presumably highway miles from living out west, but you never know. Should I take it in and have it looked at?

Thanks!
_Colorado

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is an odd one for sure. I would think the tranny control module could be goofing up on you but it's a shot in the dark.

Since the car has high mileage I would consider doing a full 3x's drain and refill on the tranny and changing the rear differential fluid. Honda makes great engines but I have never thought anything transmission related with them was built strong. Manual trannys on the other hand are great from Honda. See if changing both fluids helps with your issue. If not I would lean back again to the tcm. Could get a cheap deal at a junkyard :/.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tranny

Thanks Wipeout

Never heard of a tran control module but I just switched over to the E froma 1987 Isuzu Trooper - what a workhorse! The E was the only suitable replacement vehicle out there (boxiness and functionality).

I didn't notice this problem on the test drive(s) but did on the long highwway ride home from Denver to Colorado Springs. I'll look into the tranny flushes.

Thanks again
_Colorado

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hi All,

I just bought this 2007 this weekend from the dealer. Got a great price but am now wondering if I got shafted instead. Maybe I just don't understand the Honda Element automatic transmission. I'm hoping to get some insight from the forum.

The problem is that the automatic tranny seems to downshift an awful lot while driving. I don't mean a full downshift but feather touches to the pedal seem to cause it to jump 300-400 rpm. It's something that I'm not sure most would notice - it's that kind of subltety. It's most noticeable between 50-70 mph and being driven with cruisee control off. It just pops down a notch for a few seconds then shifts back again, all very quietly and without a lot of fanfare. Is this common to Element trannies? Is it something I shouldn't worry about?

The E had 87000 miles on it, presumably highway miles from living out west, but you never know. Should I take it in and have it looked at?

Thanks!
_Colorado
are you going DOWN HILL when this happens?
the Honda auto tranny has what is called a pendulum transmission that when is senses a down hill pitch it acts like it is "downshifting" it is normal condition does take take getting used to. Hope it helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts