Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering the purchase of a 2007 EX AWD Element, but there is one thing that makes me pause. During a test drive, for a brief instant or two, there was a a short series of hesitations. (It felt like driving on a rough road, but the pavement was definitely smooth.) This happened twice, with the two episodes separated by a few seconds. During each episode, there were probably about 5-7 hesitations, each lasting less than a second each. I was driving less than 30 mph, and I had been driving for less than 10 minutes. I have driven it a couple more times since , but I have never been able to reproduce the same behavior. :? I even re-traced the same driving route. (I have also had it on the interstate at 70 mph, and it is smooth as silk.) Should I be concerned that there is a developing engine or transmission problem? Any ideas from experienced owners? Many thanks!

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Beammeupscotty.

You left out a crucial piece of info: How many miles? There are many possible causes of drivability issues, but the most common of all on an Element is valves being out of spec. You will need to know how many miles the car has run since the valves were last adjusted. If the car is for sale by owner, you just might get an answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Reply to ramblerdan

Thanks for the response. It has 121,600 miles, and it was tuned up about 14,000 miles ago by the local dealer. I assume this would include a valve adjustment?? Thanks.

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
586 Posts
There have several instances of torque converter shudder at roughly those speeds in the 5 speed AT (I have a 4 spd). Said to feel like your rough road description. They have often responded to a 3x drain and fill with Honda transmission fluid. Raises the question of when and how often has the tranny fluid been changed..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I will ask the seller about the the valve adjustment and transmission flush. Even though it is an automatic, I also plan to take another test drive and carefully evaluate all of the gear changes. I was beginning to accelerate when the described problem happened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts