Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new here and was hoping for some help. I have a 2007 ex that vibrates right before it shifts. It only happens when it shifts slowly at low rpm's. it doesnot happen for instance when entering a highway. I have had it at the dealer and they got nothing. Anybody experience this problem and or resolution?
Thanks frank

·
Registered
178 Posts
If the vibration is happening between the speeds of 30-40mph I would guess torque converter. If the vibration is happening at a lower or higher speed I would pull the transmission drain bolt and see how much shavings are on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the vibration is happening between the speeds of 30-40mph I would guess torque converter. If the vibration is happening at a lower or higher speed I would pull the transmission drain bolt and see how much shavings are on it.
bingo 30 to 40 but has happened at the 60 to 70 shift...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Have you checked your ATF fluid levels? Torque shudder is not common at 60-70 but low ATF levels have caused similar problems with keeping the ATF engaged. Just curious, you have not had your ATF serviced at any place other than Honda correct? Have you ever taken your car to a quick lube place and they came bouncing around the corner with your ATF bolt showing you the "ooze" hanging off of it? The reason I ask is most places replace the ATF regardless of you buying the ATF service from them since they have already drained the system.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Forgot to mention I would highly recommend draining and refilling your ATF three times. Simply go to a Honda Dealership and buy a case of ATF-Z1. Ask the service department if they can do you better on the price (90% of the time this works). The rest is to drain, refill, and drive a mile or two then repeat three times. The dealership will give you a free washer so use this on the last drain and refill. The torque converter is probably gunked up a bit but considering you stated that you do use it to haul a trailer it could simply be the load that caused the gunk. Nothing wrong with hauling stuff with your E but it would be in your best interest to do a drain and refill at least once every 20K to save your transmission. There should be a DYI or I am sure I can find a PDF from the manual to forward you if you are mechanically inclined.

Remember that most people never forget to change their oil. But people always forget to change the other fluids. Engines, to me, are cheap when you know where to buy them but tranny's have always been 2-3 x's the price and are abused more often than engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts