Honda Element Owners Club banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Some nice changes, 10 hp and 5 auto, seats and stuff. Don't get people with the Scion thing at all. Still looks like an Element to me, don't even notice much difference in looks.

As far as Honda being loyal to its fan base. Why can't Honda expand its fan base to the young urban crowd? Wheres the crime in that. Granted I am not in that crowd, but wheres the harm? If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I figure Honda will continue to offer the original E styling for those who like it. And also would bet it offers some soccer mom colors like creamy white to better appeal to that crowd.

Eventually, in a year or two, I figure Honda will address the camping crowd and offer a "Jeep" Element that is higher and stuff.

Honda could offer more performance, but price would go up also, and sales would go down. Be happy with the balance we have.

Frankly, I want the blue concept E that somebody posted. That thing is gorgeous, I would buy that in a second.

·
Registered
223 Posts
'07 Sc

Wow! The SC is hot! Even the wife thinks so. My first apprehension is the cost. It looks sweet and that usually adds to the bucks. Despite the SC I may either do some mods on my '04 or purchase an '07 with painted panels. Definitely need to do something with the interior whether I keep what I have or get the EX-P. It would be nice to get the moon roof without having to have 4WD.

I came real close to trading in for an H3. Just couldn't do it. Sweet deal... but couldn't give up the E.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just left the local Honda dealer. The '06s look nice, but I need to wait for the 07s. The dealer projected October time frame. I was all excited about the '07 SC, but now I don't know. The dealer said it would be offered in four different colors. I don't really want a vehicle that would be too attractive to the thieves of the world. The dealer did a search of what they have coming in for '07. It looks like the SC and the traditional Es will have the 5 speed auto availalble. Maybe all the Es will get the 10 additional HP as well.

The SC is nice, but when I look at all the E's on this site, I don't think it is that much nicer than what the majority of this membership has done with theirs.

Mine is an SOP '04 2WD Auto. Maybe I could just lower it 2 inches, add some black and chrome wheels, add the side tubes, rear spoiler, fog light and put on some of that magic black stuff that dresses up the black plastic panels (that some of you have been talking about) and then work on the interior. It would be a great project car. (The Harley is already starting to cry... she usuually gets all my attention and extra money for chrome). I can seem to part with my E. Everytime I work a good deal I just can't sign the papers for something different. This is strange for me. I usually hold on to a car for 2 years and then it is gone.

Have I lost it, or are all Element owners so attached to their cars? I ssem to be stuck on the Orange colors. Guess it is the whole University Texas Longhorn thing. (uh uh... no smart remarks!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've thought the very same thing...do I get an 06 or wait for 07 and see the SC. I've actually decided to go with an 03 that I found a really good deal on and will do some of the mods you mentioned...lower it and put some hot rims on it...maybe. I need a vehicle now so maybe the SC will come next year if I love the E as much as I think I will.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think that the new SC is great, it has more goodies than the 03 and 05. I`d like to see a V6 and witness it`s top speed.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ink Slinger said:
I just left the local Honda dealer. The '06s look nice, but I need to wait for the 07s. The dealer projected October time frame. I was all excited about the '07 SC, but now I don't know. The dealer said it would be offered in four different colors. I don't really want a vehicle that would be too attractive to the thieves of the world. The dealer did a search of what they have coming in for '07. It looks like the SC and the traditional Es will have the 5 speed auto availalble. Maybe all the Es will get the 10 additional HP as well. snip...
Wow - SC in 4 colors? Everything Honda has been saying till now has been the SC will come in 2 colors only - the Root Beer and the brownish-greyish Galaxy Grey Metallic. Wonder if this is fact? I always wonder about anything a dealer says before they have the cars in stock. And if so, what two "other" colors since so far the only new colors we know about are GGM and RB - which would both work with the brown SC interior we saw in the prototype. I can see TM with the brown but what other color? If it has the copper colored highlights like the prototype none of the other colors will match very well - maybe black?
It will be interesting to see what of the info we have been getting is fact and what isn't. Lots of contradicting info for sure - one report says all new models in late Aug/Sept - another Oct - and yet "other" - others say one date for EX and LX and "later" for SC. One says 2 colors in the SC, one says 4. One says new front end and such on all E's, another says SC only. One says new engine and tranny in all - another SC only.
Not long to wait now though - they are definitely in production so 07 E's could roll pretty much any time after mid-August.
No worries for me - I already have MY dream E......although I plan to go play "lookie loo" and try out the SC as soon as it arrives in Dallas. I don't want the "lowered" E so it won't even be tempting - more of a "fact finding" tour and curiosity than anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
is it really that hard for Honda to slap on the S2000 engine and transmission on the E?...

10 HP increase is most likely nullified by those 21" wheels...

i don't like the projectors bc the OG boxy healdlights work well with the boxyness of the E... i also don't like the front bumper bc it's too plain...

REVHARD has a turbo kit for $4200.. but that's way too much for only 75- 100 hp gain...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seat belts

Have you ridden in a vehicle with seat belts integrated into the seat? Don't knock it 'til you try it. Seat-integrated belts are VERY comfortable. These belts are also safer, because they are shorter and always placed properly. Most people with adjustable seat belt hangers place them far too high.

...definitely agree with your comment about the Scion. It seems most people agree that Element should never try to become as ugly as the Scion is.

ALB

JoseofLA said:
It seems like it would be uncomfortable to have the seat belt coming out of the seat. With the current one you can adjust the height. I don't like the look. It reminds me of the Scion. I would not trade my E I just purchased for that one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wheels/rims & tires

I doubt that the production E-SC will have 21" wheels with performance tires because potholed streets don't particularly like these size rims. But if the E-SC does have oversized rims AND oversized tires, then i'm certain that Honda engineers will ensure that overall drive ratio doesn't change for the worse. We'll have to see what Honda specifies in this case, but it most certainly will not "nullify" the extra 10 ponies that are promised. Have some faith in Honda engineering, 2BOXY4U!

Note that for most performance street tires (not for oversize off-road tires), increasing rim diameter will usually not perceptibly increase tire diameter -- the sidewall height of the rubber is reduced so they will still fit in the standard wheel well.

Obviously there are examples of poorly engineered wheels and tires all over the place, but in general, a high-performance rim will be lighter than the tire rubber it replaces. That is to say, 17" rims with proper-sized rubber can be lighter than 16" rims with the same tire outer diameter. Unfortunately, if you're one to buy fashion rims instead of quality forged rims (Fikse, BBS, Bourget), then you may have a weaker and more flexible wheel as you increase the diameter. However, done properly, larger diameter rims CAN offer less rotational inertia, less unsprung weight, and larger tire contact area -- all of which increase performance with no decrease in efficiency.

If you really want to increase performance, however, forget about rims altogether. Install some sticky track tires to your stock rims and visit your local track day. Spend the money you would have wasted on rims for track time and high-performance driving instruction. Guaranteed you will achieve far better performance than ANY aftermarket rims would give you, and you'll have a lot more fun driving than you will polishing your oversize attention-getter wheels.

ALB

2BOXY4U said:
10 HP increase is most likely nullified by those 21" wheels...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
ALB said:
Have you ridden in a vehicle with seat belts integrated into the seat? Don't knock it 'til you try it. Seat-integrated belts are VERY comfortable. These belts are also safer, because they are shorter and always placed properly. Most people with adjustable seat belt hangers place them far too high.
ALB
Actually I HAVE ridden in a new vehicle with seat integrated belts and it was the most uncomfortable week-from-hell I ever spent in my entire life. I ended up pulling a sweater sleeve over the belt so it would not rub my neck raw.
Integrated seat belts have proven very uncomfortable for ME - and I suspect the same is true for anyone of smaller than "normal" size. And I can assure you MY seat belt is never set too high. Mine in the E is at the lowest point possible (and BTW, is VERY comfortable at that height). The lack of a lower height adjustment than the fixed position MAY be a problem for people shorter than say 5'5". I haven't test driven the E yet so I am witholding judgement on the comfort (or lack of) of the integrated belt but I CAN tell you that if it's anything like the Chevy Trail Blazer in height, positioning or design it isn't going to work for me and is in fact so painful after just an hour that for ME, it would be a definite deal killer no matter how much I might LOVE the vehicle
The idea of the seat integrated belt is a good one if the only criteria is to get the belt off the door. I am NOT so sure it is going to be a good idea for the segment of the population that finds themselves below the "norm" and is forced to use a belt that doesn't fit and cannot be adjusted. I have a feeling though that MANY (if not all) car makers are going to embrace this new design (as well as the higher seat back) for "safety" reasons. I wonder if ANY of them thought about asking a petite WOMAN test the new design? Probably not - we are not the "average" driver they prefer to test on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw the new 2007 SC!

It looks great and is worth the price, 3 SC AUTO 2WD in stock. NICE!
...but I still like mine, but wish I had opted for a manual 2wd EX...I like my unpainted panels more. I went to my Honda dealer thinking about trading for the 07 LX because of the improvements, VSA, Side Air Curtains, seatbelts integrated...etc. No manual avail now...so I did my 20,000 mile maintnce

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started out looking for and Element not even knowing about the SC version. I stumbled onto one in great shape and jumped on it. I was fully intending on getting the "standard" dual panel version until I found this one...

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82297

The main reason was the condition was so much better than a lot of the other versions I looked at. Second, I have to say I thought it looked better. All the room, utility, and reliability that I was looking for with the Element with a little nicer look. As far as it being slightly lowered, it won't stop me from taking it where I want to go, off-road even (within reason). If really want to go off-road, I have a better tool for that.

I didn't tell any of my friends about it and when I did I got many negative comments about the traditional plastic panels and dual tone look . Thing is, when they saw it they changed their minds. They went from "those are ugly" to "that's freakin' nice". One guy even commented that; "if he knew they sold them looking like this he'd buy one!". Makes one wonder how well Honda got the word out on these.

I've always liked unusual vehicles and I now am enjoying another one.

W.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hope they have a new version now

We have this type of car it's good for countryside trip, but would really wish if they have an upgraded version of this car. :idea:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to see a more fuel efficient model. Not to mention more ground clearence. I think they took this the wrong way. I do like the new seeatbelts & the center consol.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts