Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 LX caught fire on Friday (10/9/09). The local dealer said it was a short in the wiring harness leading to the ABS. Anyone have this experience?

·
Registered
247 Posts
07 LX fire

I have a 07 E but its a EX, havent had or heard of any fires frum shorts but would like to learn more , sory bout your E hope all is well .

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Havent heard of any other fires. More info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fire story

My wife and 2 kids were in the car. Daughter 2 years old, son 6 months. A Verizon truck driver stopped and poured his water jug on the fire (not much help on an electrical fire). A passer by, stopped to help with the kids and a employee of a business next to the incident brought out a fire extinguisher. Thank God for the help of others. Pretty traumatic for the wife. 60 + K miles on the E. Also thankful for the extended warranty. I did not realize that that was held by a third party and they have to inspect the problem before the dealer can start work. Hopefully that will be a fast process.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Wow. I'm glad your family is ok.

Any information you have that could help the rest of us prevent this would be good. You're the first to report an electrical fire that I can recall.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My wife and 2 kids were in the car. Daughter 2 years old, son 6 months. A Verizon truck driver stopped and poured his water jug on the fire (not much help on an electrical fire). A passer by, stopped to help with the kids and a employee of a business next to the incident brought out a fire extinguisher. Thank God for the help of others. Pretty traumatic for the wife. 60 + K miles on the E. Also thankful for the extended warranty. I did not realize that that was held by a third party and they have to inspect the problem before the dealer can start work. Hopefully that will be a fast process.
dont expect them to fix the car. Fire=totaled car. if they do fix it dont expect anyone to want this car after, it will go on sites like carfax.

Hate to tell you this but this might be what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2007 LX fire

dont expect them to fix the car. Fire=totaled car. if they do fix it dont expect anyone to want this car after, it will go on sites like carfax.

Hate to tell you this but this might be what happens.
Actually they are fixing it. It was covered on my extended warranty. No damage to the paint or wheel wells. ~$2500 in damage, about $80 worth is my responsibility. Since no "body shop" work was done, do you really think it will go on carfax?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Actually they are fixing it. It was covered on my extended warranty. No damage to the paint or wheel wells. ~$2500 in damage, about $80 worth is my responsibility. Since no "body shop" work was done, do you really think it will go on carfax?
It might....I dont know.
I think that the w. company is a insurance based thing check it out.
I hope all works out for you.
(my magic 8 ball is not working)
I just wouldn't feel comfortable with the heat in a fire and electronics . Just me. I had an apt fire and seen what fire does to a car but not from an electrical fire. Plastic and wires melt fast. I wish you well on this. If the w. company will fix any other issues that you have related to this then have at it.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
by Ins. based company they might be required to report it to Carfax

·
12,180 Posts
From the Carfax website:

CARFAX receives information from more than 20,000 data sources including every U.S. and Canadian provincial motor vehicle agency plus many auto auctions, fire and police departments, collision repair facilities, fleet management and rental agencies, and more.

http://www.carfax.com/about/data_sources.cfx

I guess it would all depend if the shop fixing your vehicle participates in the program or not.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Here's something to watch out for after you use an ABC rated fire extinguisher inside (or outside) a car.

The powder's abrasive and gets in to -everything- and anything that has bearings. Window regulators will eventually fail, windshield wiper motors you'd swear were completely protected, electrical switches, shocks, locks... Speaking of motors, use care when running the heater blower. I watched a mechanic take a blast of adp right in the eyes when he flipped on the air conditioner after a fire and discovered that it was full of powder too. The poor guy ended up going in for emergency care.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts