• Depends

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm thinking about becoming a new Element owner. I'm considering picking up this one but feel the price should be down to $5k or so at that mileage, maybe I'm wrong? Any thoughts on this one overall? 5J6YH27367L007688 | 2007 Honda Element LX for sale in Draper, UT

Currently own a rarely used '04 VW Touareg (parked while I've been in Europe last ~4 years with 2x a year visits to US), and previously was in an '03 Subaru Forester. I like anything 11 years older than current date as I can register in permanent plates where I am from (Montana).

I am looking at some Es in the Salt Lake area as I'll pass through there in June. I have been living mostly in Europe the last few years and driving small, versatile manual transmission like Toyota Aygo, VW Golf, Fiat 500 (lots of rental cars or some leases).

I'm excited to get back into the US for long road trips, camping, larger parking spaces, and a little more off--paved-road like roads national forest roads.

I know the E has lower clearance than a lot of cars, like my Touareg which has been sitting in the US and I am not hoping to pay for any further servicing on ($$$). I was thinking about getting an E lifted up to 3 inches for better use on dirt trails. I know it's no Jeep, but helps in Montana and around.

Primary activities: longer road trips around the west, camping, skiing, driving to forests and lakes on gravel and dirt roads. Hauling some luggage but not usually anything too heavy.

Any tips on the specific car and its carfax linked? Advice to look for other models, and on modifying the lift to use a little more safely on rough back roads?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Car looks pretty good, manual AWDs are fairly rare also; per the Carfax it only lived in the salt belt (Eastern S. Dakota) for about a year, and was otherwise in a salt-free locale. One of the first things I look at on an Element is if all the small metal fittings underhood are rusty; this one looks clean and chances are the undercarriage is similarly clean. The Carfax is a little spotty at times with long intervals between services and also one of the later owners cheaped out and used a quickie lube for oil changes (if too many 'trainees' have wrenched on the oil drain plug they can strip it). Overall, the servicing is probably about average for the typical used car. As with any used Element with 100k+ miles the valves should be inspected and adjusted and the suspension will normally need some new parts from wear. And if only the oil has been changed throughout the car's life, expect to refresh all the other fluids. The best superficial indication of a car's mechanical condition is how well it starts, accelerates, brakes and rides, and if it makes any unusual noises when performing any of those actions. A pre-purchase inspection by a competent mechanic or even better, someone with a fair amount of experience with Elements and CR-Vs, should provide some peace of mind and a good indication of what to expect from the vehicle. Good luck however it turns out!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts