The AUX port has been acting up recently in my SC. I've tried changing cords, but this hasn't helped. It seems that the cable needs to be held fairly tightly in one place for it to work. Because of this issue, I decided to replace the AUX port. Has anyone ever replaced the AUX port on a SC? Does it require removing the center console?
the instructions "carefully pry the accessory power socket...." are non-specific at best. here's how i accomplished this without taking the dash apart:
1. purchase this tool - i got mine at Advance auto parts for under$20
2. remove fuse or disconnect battery (recommended) - i did not do this so i'll let you figure out which fuse it is, etc.
3. there are two square plastic tabs inside of the socket on either side, opposite of each other about 1" down. these tabs hold the socket to the plastic housing. insert the tool at an angle so that one of the tips makes contact with one of the plastic tabs, then wedge the other end in to make contact with the opposite tab.
4. with the tool simultaneouly pressing against both tabs, you'll be able to pull the socket straight out from the plastic housing about 1/4" or so - this is as far as it will go with the tool still inserted
5. get a firm grip on the socket with some pliers, so as not to allow it to slide back into the housing, and manipulate the tool to free it from the socket
6. once the tool is removed, the socket will come out completely -
disconnect it from the wiring at the rear (it pretty much slides off)
7. now you can pop off the plastic socket housing which will allow you to pop off the AUX input housing and disconnect it from the wiring (there is a tab to push on this one)
8. install replacement AUX input housing (i found a genuine Honda one on ebay for less than $25)
9. reinstall the power socket housing and the actual power socket
i did this today and now everything works great. although i DID disengage the glove box, i never accessed anything from behind the dash. so you can probably leave the glove box alone - unless you're also replacing your in-cabin air filters as i was.
i hope this helps somebody - i looked all over the internet for an answer and found very little help.