Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When accelerating in my Standard '07 SC I find there is a very anoying dip in the power/hesitation from the engine as I apply the power - most noticable after a gear change. It's as if the computer isnt ready to re-engage the throttle. At higher revs (3500-4000+) it doesnt seem to be a problem but in normal driving around town I (and my passengers are thrown back and fourth in our seats as the car 'lurches' through every gear change.

Anyone know a) if this is usual and b) is it fixable?

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Ok, first things first. Please fill out your profile and welcome to the EOC.

While you are calling your transmission a "standard" from your description you are either driving a manual very poorly or your automatic is shifting weird. If you have an automatic then I suggest heading to the dealer while still under warranty. if you have a manual (standard) then I suggest asking a friend who has a manual how to properly shift so you are not tossed back into your seats with each shift.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, first things first. Please fill out your profile and welcome to the EOC.

While you are calling your transmission a "standard" from your description you are either driving a manual very poorly or your automatic is shifting weird. If you have an automatic then I suggest heading to the dealer while still under warranty. if you have a manual (standard) then I suggest asking a friend who has a manual how to properly shift so you are not tossed back into your seats with each shift.
Thanks Larry. I've updated my profile just for you ;) I'm actually English (where they don't sell Elements) but was trying hard fit in as a North American by using words like "standard" in place of manual - I guess I got it wrong this time. My bad.

Thank you so much for suggesting I learn to drive properly but I've been driving manual cars for the past 23 years without a problem - well maybe 21 years until I got my E 2 years ago. Because of my experience I can "compensate" for the power dip in 3 ways:

a) drive so slowly you can't feel the acceleration or momentary lack thereof
b) get the revs up above 4000 - doesnt seem to happen there
c) let the clutch up late (ie slip the clutch) so the engine revs and we lurch forward (this one is BAD vehicle control)

NB My mate's '05 (I think) doesnt suffer this

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Martin (we share the same first name, cool),

I understand you're issue. I too think the Element's manual transmission is a little quirky but give it time and you will adapt to the car and will pick up little tricks to make it shift smoother.

I agree, the Element shifts better when you hold out the revs to 3500-4000rpm. I've noticed that if I am shifting lower (around 2000-2500rpm) it helps if I accelerate, shift, and clutch slower than what I do when I rev the motor out a bit more.

I would suggest (if you haven't already) to try lifting your heel off the ground when working the clutch pedal. I've found that having my foot raised really helps follow the path of the pedal, thus smoothing out my shifting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts