Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 sc. had it since 10000 miles. I am now at 55000. at 45000 I drained and refilled the transmission with honda atf. fluid looks good and full on the dip stick when I just checked. Problem started at 52000 (right (immediately on the way home) after I had the brake recall fixed by the dealer). The transmission has a hard downshift from second to first. kinda like a slammed shift on a manual but its an automatic. It shifts fine up and down except for that one point when coming to a stop. then it slams down, hard enough to make me cringe. But sometimes it doesn't do it. its seems to do it more frequently when its warm and we've been driving around a lot, but that doesn't seem necessary for it to happen. I have 5k until the warranty is up, but before I head in I was going to change the fluid again. Any other suggestions? Vehicle has had a lot of time on a stop and go rush hour traffic highway. Just looking for thoughts and experiences. My dealer is not so good, pretty sure they will just tell me that my fluid is old and tell me to go away.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would go to another dealer.
Or at least go to your regular dealer and have it looked at and get it logged as a problem. Its not the fluid or the filter. Probably just a solenoid. the main thing is DON'T WAITE.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fluid is right at full on the dipstick and red in color. ordered some new fluid and a filter. going to change it this weekend and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
According to the owners manual the auto fluid needs to be changed at 60k then every 30k.
Remember when you take it to honda the guy your talking to is a service SALES man. His job is to SELL you repair work on your car.
Tell him the problem and say it should be covered under warranty.
If he says it the fluid tell him you changed that and it didn't help.
When he tells you that you need other stuff done keep telling him just to fix the stuff under warranty. Be Nice.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
problem seems to be related to whether the ac is on or off. when on problem is constant, when running without shifts silky smooth. Is there some kind of load control or sensor or rpm variation? So weird.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well changed fluid and filter. filter was heavy but that just could be the fluid in it. another 3.5 qts of honda fluid in. seems to be shifting smoother. don't notice the shift like before unless I am waiting for it. shift seems more normal. not vehicle shaking as before.

not sure whether it was the fluid or the filter or both. so far have dumped 7 qts into it. but assuming half of the first 3.5 came out thats only 5 qts in of 7 right? maybe in another 5 to 10 k I will dump and fill again just to be safe and get my percentage of new fluid up.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
starting to get bad again........got a road trip to the mountains this weekend for a camping trip. Going to see how it performs then call the dealer when I get back. See what they will do for it under warranty.

·
Registered
536 Posts
starting to get bad again........got a road trip to the mountains this weekend for a camping trip. Going to see how it performs then call the dealer when I get back. See what they will do for it under warranty.
Please keep us posted on the dealer findings.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oddly enough it cleared up again. Acting fine. Going to have to wait for it to start up again then hope it keeps doing it long enough for the dealer to notice it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts