Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I will be spending a few weeks out on the Oregon coast this summer and the wife wanted to take the bikes along with us.

So I got this:

To pull these:

The Triumph Scrambler weighs 507lbs. wet.
The Harley Davidson Iron 883 weighs 526lbs. wet.
Trailer weighs roughly 420lbs.

Total weight being 1,489lbs.

Thoughts? Opinions? Recommendations?

Tow vehicle is a 2008 Element A/T.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
While your Element would be able to pull the weight the poor design of the trailer with the axle all the way to the rear means that the tongue weight will be horrendous. Maximum for the Element is listed at 150 lbs and I'm sure that your loaded trailer will vastly exceed that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
look again at the trailer
Its folded up at the rear, when the other half unfolds the bikes are centred down the trailer dispersing the weight so its not all on the tongue

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Like the looks of that trailer. Good design. Tongue will probably be minimal. Guess - #55. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tow with a single bike Kendon that I have mounted a winch on to make loading the bike easier. I usually tow my BMW R1200GS on it so my total weight even with the winch is a few hundred pounds lower than you will be towing. I have no problem at all towing it with my 05 2wd ES. I have towed it over some very high passes in the Rockies and when I'm on a long grade I simply slow down to 45 or so and lock it in 3rd gear so that things don't get too hot. On level ground 65 to 70 seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hopefully, you already know that the Oregon coast, even in summer, can be wet.
Yep. Having been born, raised and continue to live in Seattle, a little rain doesn't stop me from riding.

The wife and I spend a week on the Oregon coast just about every summer, in the last 13 years, I honestly don't remember more then maybe one wet day the entire time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Question...

The top of the receiver on the Element sits at 13" and the bottom of the ball coupler is at 19" with the trailer leveled. If I understand correctly, this means I need a ball hitch with a 6" rise, but the only thing I'm finding are the adjustable hitches and I thought I heard somewhere that the adjustable hitches weren't advisable.

If this is true, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow up:Returned home from our trip on Saturday; the trailer and Element with bikes loaded went extremely well and went off without a hitch. :razz::razz::roll:

The Element was about due for it's transmission flush, so I had that done before we left just so I knew the fluid was clean.

Round trip was 672 miles.

This is loaded up and getting ready for the trip back home:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where oh where did you get this trailer? It's awesome! How much???
I bought it used thru my local craigslist. It's a Kendon knock-off that goes by the name of "TrailBlazer". Used, I picked it up for $800. And for a few dollars more, I freshened up the wheels. :D

And here I am prior to the trip, loaded up and ready to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts