Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a used 2008 Honda Element 40K miles. I got fuel the other day, then after a few miles the Malfunction Light came on.
I do not see a 'Fuel Cap' message anywhere.
Anyway, I tighten the fuel cap 1 click, also ordered a new fuel cap.
Think I will buy a OTC II to check the error code, anyone recommend any other code readers.
So where, do you connect the code reader at...

Cactus24
Bucks County Pennsylvania USA

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the OTC 3111 Pro OBD II, the best price I could find was 118.00, seems like they all ship from China.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I ordered the OTC 3111 Pro OBD II, the best price I could find was 118.00, seems like they all ship from China.
so it probably won't arrive 'til next year.

meanwhile, go to Advance, or similar, and get the codes read. that way you'll know what you're dealing with and whether it's safe to drive.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
For reading basic emissions-related codes, any obd2 reader will do, including the $20 and under mini bluetooth ones that have off switches and can be left plugged in.

Rather than wait, have the codes read at your auto parts store. It may be as simple as bad gas, a fouled plug, a bad coil or a broken lead to the cat O2 sensor.

Ps Fuel cap warning would be on the digital multifunction display (odometer).Press rhe button to cycle trough the display modes. If the fuel cap was loose but not tightened soon enough, the engine malfunction lamp would turn on and might stay on for several days after fixing the fuel cap. Fastest way to reset the code is disconnecting the battery for 15+ minutes and rentering the radio code. (PITA)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The OTC 3111 Pro OBD II came from WOBD2.COM, it was 118.00, just came on Thursday 12/31, it took about 2 weeks to get here. You know, it could be bad gas, I had just filled-up with BP Silver. I will fill-up again, put in Chevron Techron, see what happens.
I will disconnect the battery, see if the Malfunction light goes off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to the Honda dealer to continue with the Pennsylvania State Inspection Thursday 6/9/16.
The engine malfunction light is on for the LAF Oxygen sensor, they have to order the part, also replaced the front stabilizer bar left/right links.

The Honda Element runs and handles better now.

I think the Honda Element is one of the best cars on the road...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts