Honda Element Owners Club banner

Which model year(s) would you suggest? You can select both 2010/2011.

• 2008 EX

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • 2010 EX

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 2011 EX

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm currently in the market for an Element. Right now, I'm torn between investing in newer (2010-2011) model 4WD automatic EX's and the last gen that had the moonroof, which I believe to be 2008.

My primary concerns would be ANY advancements or changes that would've been made between 2008-2010/2011 that would sway my purchase (other than the awesome moonroof) as well as any known issues in either of the model years.

I'm aware of the recalls for the 07-08s, which scares me a bit to know that I might be investing in a vehicle that has preliminary gearbox wear if they had gone un-repaired.

Moreover, what's the deal with the elements going from "RealTime AWD" stickers to "4WD" chromed badges?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2008. After that they got ugly and had cheaper interiors.
Yeah. I'm coming out of a 2006 Scion XB that was just shredded by a deer... I believe nature was telling me I need something a bit more outdoorsy. I have noticed that the newer models have a more sleek city-friendly appearance... whereas the earlier generations have a more rugged look. IE the recessed headlights, which I think are pretty damn cool. What got cheaper exactly? I can't get my hands on an 08 immediately to dig around.

·
Registered
541 Posts
^^^ me too
After owning an 04 and 06 models... They just look dated now compared to our 2010

Interior isn'nt cheaper either.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What got cheaper exactly?
Darned if I know. I know the instrument cluster changed, but not sure what year that happened. 2006 maybe? Elements also went from front seatbelts being mounted in the doors to into the seats. Seat fabrics have changed. Overhead consoles differ. But I think the majority of Element interior pieces are identical in quality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
slant nose vs box snout

The slant-nose hood (2008 and earlier) looks much better from the side than the 2009 and later box-snout. Also, the round wheel arches look better than the square ones.

I do prefer the flush headlights and cleaner grille of the 2009 and later elements but the rear moonroof is a very handy (for ventilation) and cool thing and it is a real pity it was discontinued after 2008.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree with Gary. The newer E's to me have cheaper interior. The plastic scratches up with the slightest touch. I have had atleast 3 other Hondas and never had this problem.

And yes the seat belt changed from the door to the seat.

It would be a way better car for me if it could handle a little wear and tear. Mine is 2011

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree with Gary. The newer E's to me have cheaper interior. The plastic scratches up with the slightest touch. I have had atleast 3 other Hondas and never had this problem.

And yes the seat belt changed from the door to the seat.

It would be a way better car for me if it could handle a little wear and tear. Mine is 2011
You owned 3 other Hondas or 3 other Es? Have you had first-hand experience with an 2003-2008 or 2007-2008?

I'm having a hard time believing the interior is different... (just because it scratches easily doesn't mean it's different... mine scratches easily too)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had 3 other hondas, not Elements. The Element is the easiest scratched interior I have ever seen. Other people that I know that have older than 2007 Elements or Hondas don't seem to have this problem. A friend has a newer Pilot with the same problem and when my aunt traded her Odyssey for a newer one she said the same thing. The interior plastic is soft ,but the leather seats seem fine.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I had the good fortune to have my '08 sitting side by side with the newly released '09 at the dealer and it didn't take long at all to decide I'd rather have the last of the 08's instead of the newer ones. Not gonna bother trying to explain it all. My opinion is that the '09 and newer is for the person who couldn't get a better one. That's when Honda started building them cheaper instead of better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up going with the 08. Absolutely love it. The moonroof bag had never even been removed from its plastic pouch.

She has a few quirks, the biggest being interior rust. Makes me a bit nervous. It can be found under the seats and in the E-Brake center console. It was owned by a lady on a horse farm, looks like the windows may have spent more time open than closed giving the level of dust prior to dealership detail. I'm hoping that the rust is just a product of accumulated dust holding moisture against the metal, vs flooding… or someone LITERALLY hosing it out. MOREOVER, someone clearly used a harsh chemical to clean the dash, and it caused streaking in the tan texture. I might have it re-stained in the future, but for now, I'll just have to stifle my OCD.

The dealership left the service history booklet which has the contact info of the previous owner, might call and see if I can get any info on this Element's past life / why she traded. Given the amount of hay in the car prior to sale, looks like she may have wanted a pickup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own both 2005 and 2010...

I can tell you that I was a fan of the 2008 model - but little by little the style started to look old - and given the fact that you cant buy another release - I believe the purchase of a newer style is best with low mileage. (at least that became my search) Either way you are getting (or already got) and Element - so how wrong can you be? :) We all agree the E is the way to go - lets not start a gang mentality and begin to divide the groups now (we love to build oppositions in everything)

I do prefer the new console in my 2010 EX 4WD - compared to my 2005 EX AWD (but 08b is the same.
I prefer the material of the seats in my 2010 - WAY better than my 2005 with the driver seat issues! Should not happen on these!
I prefer the round around the tires on 2005-08 as opposed to square on 09-11
I prefer the blue glow of the dials in the 2010 (2008 has this)
I prefer the all black now as opposed to my Grey on black panels before (looks classier)
I prefer the engine on the 2010 5sp auto from the 4sp auto on my 2005
I prefer the rear sunroof on my 2005
I prefer the seat belt on the seat of my 2010 (but 2008 has this)
LOVE THE REAR silver line of the new model 2010 (black has silver)
I NOW prefer the 2010 grill - I use to like the 2008 before - but it has grown on me

I am very happy with my just purchased 2010 EX w/ 16,000 miles because I wanted to latest model with the lowest miles to keep it as long as possible. If I would have purchased a 2008 - then 3 or 4 years later when I want a newer version - it's gonna be impossible to find one with low mile. I was surprised to find a black 16k certified w Nav - myself.

**** Congrats on the 2008 - post pics!!!! *** Like I said, you cant go "WRONG" with either one. All personal preference!
im happy w my purchase...

more Pics of my E is found here : http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1913

1 - 15 of 15 Posts