Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

About a year ago, I replaced the driver's side front door LOWER hinge because it was sloppy and causing some noise from the weatherstripping rubbing. The top hinge looked solid and the replacement made a big difference. I remember thinking "that top hinge might be a real pain when it comes time to replace" because it looked like the bolts were hidden behind the body panel (not the black plastic one that I removed when replacing the lower hinge, but the actual curved upper piece). So, now the top hinge is sloppy and needs replacement. The service manual doesn't really give any further instructions other than "remove the lower trim piece and replace hinges while using a jack for support".
In looking at the issue, it seems like I either have to remove that top (curved) piece of trim, which may be more of a task or find out what kind of tool to use to get at the three bolts that attach the door to the vehicle. I thinking maybe ratcheting wrenches, some kind of bent socket driver or maybe some other specialized tool. The problem being that space is tight and that just moving the door makes it impossible to get at the bolts from certain angles. Also, I'm trying my best to not put too many scratches in the paint.
So, if anyone has done this or know of any tips or tricks, I'd appreciate knowing about them. I'd really prefer to remove as few parts as possible to get this fixed, but also don't want to be scratching up the paint if I can get easier access by removing something.
Any assistance is appreciated as I try to keep this 11 year old workhorse performing well.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The top bolt on the upper hinge is a pretty straight shot for a socket on an extension to spin it out with a ratchet. Put a layer of tape or similar in the socket to make it a tight fit on the bolt. You do not want the bolt to fall out and disappear itself. I "think" you can get to the bottom bolt after pulling down the inner fender liner. That one you may be able to get with a short socket or with a ratcheting box wrench.

You will need some means to steady the door when the hinge is removed. I use an engine hoist strapped to the top of the door frame but not everyone has an engine hoist in their pocket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rustedwrench. Any advice really helps. Gave me a few ideas as I was looking at it again today.
And I will use my 6'2" 250 lb brother for help. Not an engine hoist, but I think he will be a big help for the door.
Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts