Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I had a 2004 Element for about a year and a half and I LOVED IT!!! Unfortunately, my wife did not. We sold it for a Prius for my long work commute.
Well, now I have a much shorter commute and we are looking for a cheap beater for 1 1/2 years. I found a local 2008 EX with 187k miles on it. I negotiated him to $4100. Am I a fool to think of buying this high-mileage Element? I need something to get me to and from work for 1 1/2 years. I have a 14 mile commute that takes about 30 minutes. He said he bought the car in 2013 with 55k miles and has all the service records. He said it runs great. I'm test driving tomorrow. The pics look like it's been really well-cared for. I just really want another Element. It only has to last a year and a half...but we really don't have any money for huge maintenance issues. Should I stay away? (By the way, not very mechanically inclined. I have a good mechanic, but I'm not any kind of a home auto mechanic at all.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi all! I had a 2004 Element for about a year and a half and I LOVED IT!!! Unfortunately, my wife did not. We sold it for a Prius for my long work commute.
Well, now I have a much shorter commute and we are looking for a cheap beater for 1 1/2 years. I found a local 2008 EX with 187k miles on it. I negotiated him to $4100. Am I a fool to think of buying this high-mileage Element? I need something to get me to and from work for 1 1/2 years. I have a 14 mile commute that takes about 30 minutes. He said he bought the car in 2013 with 55k miles and has all the service records. He said it runs great. I'm test driving tomorrow. The pics look like it's been really well-cared for. I just really want another Element. It only has to last a year and a half...but we really don't have any money for huge maintenance issues. Should I stay away? (By the way, not very mechanically inclined. I have a good mechanic, but I'm not any kind of a home auto mechanic at all.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello [B]elementarymusi[/B]c. I've got a 2007 with 165,000. I expect to double that mileage over the next 12 years. You should get a lot more than 1 1/2 years of service. Might be a great deal. I would buy it . You would probably have no problem reselling should you choose.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Get it but still take it somewhere to get checked out first. The records will tell you what has been done, the “checkout” will tell you what hasn’t.

Overall sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. He said no major issues. No wrecks. He's done brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, back wheel bearings, and tires over the 6 years he's had it. And new tires once. I'm test driving today.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thanks guys. He said no major issues. No wrecks. He's done brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, back wheel bearings, and tires over the 6 years he's had it. And new tires once. I'm test driving today.
It's LONG overdue for valve adjustment. If that hasn't been done yet, figure the cost of getting it done in your purchase. It's not a thing you can "diagnose" until it's too late.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My 2008 EX has 158,000 and has had all the usual things done to keep it running. I don't nickel and dime about what it costs to keep it running tip-top. It's the Element. Honda isn't making any more. I appreciate it every day. You will too if you buy this one. So by now we should know if you're an Element owner again. What happened? :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my 2003 new and had it nearly 10 years and put 170k miles on it. I had very few problems over that time, and the thing that impressed me the most was that there was literally no oil leaks from the engine or trans, and it never burned oil. In fact, I did have to take it to the dealer when the heater motor blew at 165k, but while I was there the service manager took me to his computer to show me the records on his friend's Element. He had over 500k miles on it and had only had routine maintenance done on it. No major repairs. I don't thing it was a made up story! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 2008 sc with 180,000 miles on it, all i've really had to replace was the starter and had to have the vac system redone on the AC, and a new cruise control module. What do the maintenance records say? Any big ticket items fixed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I didn't buy it. It was rougher than it appeared in the photos: a big dent on one side, a hole in the rear bumper, 2 small rock holes in the front windshield, a/c didn't kick in for 5 minutes when driving, and a jostling noise from the exhaust system when we hit bumps. I was really sad.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been looking at Elements on the Cargurus website and noticed about a $1500-2000 swing in prices in some markets. That price seems pretty reasonable- I bought my 2002 Avalanche on Craigslist- estate sale and after 2 months have it up to snuff- 144K miles- Florida all it's life with leather (not cracked) shiny paint- I could take it to the car show with a little more wax and polish- I paid 4800 and have spent about $800 on maintenance items-
Looking for an Element I can fix up just a nice- and drive it 5000 or so miles a year, max.- It has to have OK front seats-
- if it was driven mostly highway miles, I assume the seats will be better-- great video- how to spot a hwy miles vehicle-

·
Registered
94 Posts
I guess I am a bigger fool, as my newly purchased Florida one-owner 2005 Element LX has 234,000 miles!
The seats are absolutely perfect as the owner installed seat covers and used them for the "longest time", he said. He drove 30,000 miles a year on I-75 for his job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts