Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 LX, Auto, AWD, Omni Pearl Blue
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are plenty of posts here that talk about upgrading an LX to an EX overhead console, but all appear to be written with pre-2009 E's in mind--referring to only two screws holding the console in-place whereas the 2009-2011 console has four screws (in addition to two more screws under the map lights cluster and the overhead light).

Have pulled a boneyard overhead console from a 2009 EX, but before I cut into the headliner of my 2009 LX I want to make sure that the roof welded bracket, to which all those screws attach, exists in the LX as it does for the EX.

I've looked on the Honda parts websites and the 2009 LX and EX have identical roof panel part numbers, and I did not see any console mount bracket available as a separate part.

Has anyone seen a 2009-11 LX roof panel without its headliner in-place and can confirm that that bracket for the EX exists for the LX?

I've attached a couple of photos from the boneyard donor car showing what I'm referring to.

Font Electronic device Technology Cable Metal
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
2009 LX, Auto, AWD, Omni Pearl Blue
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
klamath_knot,

Sorry for the delay in responding . . . had already packed and stored-away the '09 overhead console I had pulled from a boneyard E. My E is currently in Anchorage, AK with my daughter and I am in Chicago, which is why it was already packed away. In the beginning of September, my daughter and I are going to drive the E back to Chicago, pulling all her stuff in a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer. When the E gets home, I'll install the console

Here are some photos of what it looks like we need.

Cutting the headliner to mount the bracket, and actually bolting the bracket in-place, are going to be the most difficult steps of this installation.

The two bolts that anchor the front of the bracket (holes indicated w/red arrows) are several inches forward of forward-most cutout of the headliner. With the headliner in-place and because you are so close to where the headliner is anchored near the windshield, locating and screwing in those two forward bracket bolts is going to be a challenge--the last thing I want to have to do is to replace the headliner!!! I think the rear two bolt locations (black arrows) offer a little more flexibility for installation.

Once the bracket is anchored, the overhead console bolts to the bracket with two screws through the map lights and the interior light (yellow arrows). There are four additional screws (green arrows) in the drop-down storage compartments.

I think I am going to first make a longitudinal slit in the headliner and peel back enough space to slide the bracket into place and secure it. Then I'll mount the console with long versions of the four sheet metal screws that hold the console through the storage compartments. I'll use the long screws so that the console drapes about an inch below the headliner. Then I'll take a marking pen, angled 45-degrees towards the center of the console, and trace the outline of the console onto the headliner.

I'll pull the console back down, cut the headliner on my marker tracing, and then do the final install of the console.

Crossing my fingers.

Ken

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Product Automotive lighting

Wood Gas Auto part Composite material Tool
Hood Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system Wood
Bag Rectangle Gadget Cameras & optics Musical instrument accessory
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part
Product Line Fixture Gas Machine

·
Registered
2008 LX FWD AT
2,756 Posts
When I installed the console (shorter 2008 version) in my LX, I was able to make a template for cutting the headliner using my son's EX as a guide. I removed the rear view mirror, left visor, and left pull handle which allowed me to pull the headliner down enough to access the bracket front mounting screws. I was also able to install the bracket through the hole I made in the headliner (with the driver door open, there was probably enough room to slide it in from the side as well). I had to add plastic grommets in the roof support for the two screws that attach the rear of the bracket. For the 2008 console, there are two tabs on the console that slip into slots in the bracket at the front end, then just the two light fixture screws that attach the console to the bracket at the rear end. I ran a wire back to the ceiling light to get power for the console.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts