Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at installing my new Pioneer Tweeters, wondering was the safest way of removing the A-Pillar covers is?

I've searched the forums, and there is the flat screwdriver from the top approch and pull towards the radio, or, grab a mallet and wack the cover where the two pins are (from a Honda manual).

Any experiences on this to not get an accidental airbag deployment? (Battery disconnected of course), and or damaging the pins or plastic cover?

Thanks in advance,

Moises

·
12,180 Posts
Looking at installing my new Pioneer Tweeters, wondering was the safest way of removing the A-Pillar covers is?

I've searched the forums, and there is the flat screwdriver from the top approch and pull towards the radio, or, grab a mallet and wack the cover where the two pins are (from a Honda manual).

Any experiences on this to not get an accidental airbag deployment? (Battery disconnected of course), and or damaging the pins or plastic cover?

Thanks in advance,

Moises

Follow the procedure from the manual.....You will have to buy new clips. Part of the airbag is located in the a-pillar area and you don't want jam a screw driver in there and start prying. The clips are a couple dollars...a messed up airbag is a wee bit more to replace.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've had mine off, there's no airbag behind it.A very tiny portion of the side curtain airbag is visible at the very top.About 2 inches from the top, there is one of the replaceable clips. I smacked mine with a rubber mallet, and off it came. Once you can peek behind it, the rest is cake. Just make sure you order 2 new clips to replace the ones you broke!

·
12,180 Posts
I've had mine off, there's no airbag behind it.A very tiny portion of the side curtain airbag is visible at the very top.About 2 inches from the top, there is one of the replaceable clips. I smacked mine with a rubber mallet, and off it came. Once you can peek behind it, the rest is cake. Just make sure you order 2 new clips to replace the ones you broke!

I have not seen the newer models with the a-piilar off yet...This is good to know for future reference. I was going by infi listed in the service manual.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=495216&postcount=2

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Just pulled the covers off on my '08 a few minutes ago (painting all the gray trim black).

I would have loved to have known about smacking that damn clip with a hammer. I pried and pried and pried and finally it let go. It's some kind of funky red and black clip thing. Both sides obviously broke. :(

And no, there's no air bag behind there. I was kind of worried about that too.

Not sure why they would all of the sudden for the '09s. :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, here are a couple of pics. The trick for me was to remove the seal, when you hit it, it comes off no problem.

There are no airbags, just a kevlar bridle hocking up to the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Looking at the diagram in the service manual, the side curtain airbag is one long module that runs from the front all the way back to just behind the C-pillar. When it deploys, it blows out the top of the A-pillar and the headliner across the top of the door jamb. The upper clip is designed to break loose on deployment. The actual bag is at the top, under the headliner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts