Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I summed up the courage to take apart my factory head unit yesterday and ran into some hick-ups. I've never done a head unit installation so I thought I'd give it a try.

After taking the factory HU out, I found a few wires, as shown in picture below:

I've hooked up a wiring harness to the new HU and it goes with the blue adapter which powers the speakers. I am pretty sure the gray adapter is the radio (although it doesn't fit with my Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD unit). Does anyone know how I get it to fit? In the picture below, it's supposed to go into the round plug on bottom left. As for the other three, does anyone know what they're for? I'm guessing one of them must be the auxiliary jack, but I haven't a clue which is which

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
You need a 40hd10 antenna adaptor by metra electronics for your factory antenna to adapt to the standard "motorola" antenna that is used by aftermarket radios, the green plug is the aux jack, the large gray (white?) plug is the satellite radio tuner or prewire that will not be able to be used by the aftermarket radio as the protocol (language the radio and tuner use to communicate) is different, and the black one is the subwoofer input. if you want to use the aux in and have a jack on the back you will only have to use the brown(right channel), the white(left channel), and the and either the blue or green for the groundthat is common to them both. the easiest way to figure it out would be to test for conitnuity with a multimeter. i did mine so long ago i dont remember which is was. (i think it was green, but not 100%) the others in the green plug dont get used with an aftermarket deck. the black plug for the sub is red/blue for the center pin of an rca cable, and red/white hooks to the outershield, the other wire is not used on an aftermarket deck. the easiest way to attach to thes is get a cheapo rca cable and cut the end about 6 inches long. strip back the cable and get the inner wire and the outer wire seperate and hook like described. plug into the sub woofer preout of the new deck. dont worry about only hooking to one of the two because frequencies under 150 hz are not in stereo anyway like other frequencies are. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
oh yeah and if you have steering wheel controls that you would like to retain i have the adaptor that you can use for that for 40 bucks including shipping if you want it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Al and Yoda,

Your help was quite helpful in everything so far. I'm still having trouble with the subwoofer but I think that's mostly because I had a bad wire tap. Going to go look for better one tomorrow.

I did run into a step I'm not sure on. I cut open a wire for the auxiliary jack and am not sure which wires go where. The wires that are inside the cord are red, green, white, black. Which wires from the auxiliary harness go where?

Thanks once again for your help. It feels great to be SO close to getting it all done. Even though the sub isn't working yet, at least I have music.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Hey Al and Yoda,

Your help was quite helpful in everything so far. I'm still having trouble with the subwoofer but I think that's mostly because I had a bad wire tap. Going to go look for better one tomorrow.

I did run into a step I'm not sure on. I cut open a wire for the auxiliary jack and am not sure which wires go where. The wires that are inside the cord are red, green, white, black. Which wires from the auxiliary harness go where?

Thanks once again for your help. It feels great to be SO close to getting it all done. Even though the sub isn't working yet, at least I have music.
Sorry...I don't know without ringing it out with a volt/ohm meter. If you can figure out which wire goes to which ring, then the tip (3) is left+, the center ring (2) is right+, and the ring nearest the insulation (1) is negative.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts