Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I just got my 09 EX MT and am thinking about stereo upgrade. My previous car was an Audi A3 with Bose Symphony, and well... the E's stereo is not that great... I am planning on keeping the stock HU for XM, integration, etc.
I don't go to mind numbing sound levels, but enjoy a strong stereo, and plan on keeping El Elemento for a few years.

I've combed through several posts, and this is what I am thinking,

-Alpine PDX-5 Amp under pass seat ($450)
-Infinity Kappa's 60.9cs in front and back ($300)
-Replace the tweets with component tweets from the Kappa's and leave in stock location... mount crossovers under driver seat?
-JL 6W3v3 Sub ($120) in stock enclosure
-Rewire speakers with higher gauge speaker wire ($free)
-Dynamat doors, maybe trunk gate. ($120)
-Use a JL Audio CL441dsp CleanSweep® to pick up the signal since there are no RCA outputs on the stock head... or MTX re-Q5? ($175 or $100)
-8 ga amp wiring kit ($40)
-USA Ipod interface ($150)

So I am looking at about $1400.. and that's for lowest internet prices, my own labor.

Any input from the forum?,
should I use Infinity reference speakers ($80?),
do I need Kappa's all the way around?,
is the clean sweep overkill, will I be able to tell the difference vs. MTX re-Q5?
How much would a professional installer charge to get this done professionally?..

I'd rate myself a novice/intermediate installer... my first car was a Fiat 124 spyder, and I haven't really like electrics since...

Thanks in advance,

Moises
:)

Update:
I just stopped by a local installer, and I am looking at a $2500 install!

His setup:
-JL Audio 6 channel amp
-JL 8" W1 Sub
-2 JL Component 6'5 TR speakers
-Ipod Adapter
-1 ohm/farad capacitor
-rewire all speakers
-Hide amp behind rear side panel or below pass seat
-Install extra set of tweets in rear door

Parts $1265
labor $785

-Dynamat all four doors, parts and labor $260

·
Registered
197 Posts
My suggestion is to put some good speakers in and get an aftermarket HU possibly a DVD/Nav unit. Im running kappas in my doors and i absolutely love them. Best speakers ive ever had and ive had a ton of speakers including reference. I have a Alpine HU and im running the stock subwoofer. Its plenty loud and the stock sub is impressive when paired with an aftermarket HU. It would be a ton cheaper then what you were thinking of doing. See if you can get a used AVIC D3 on ebay or something they come with bluetooth, ipod integration, and nav.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply!, I was beginning to think nobody else was a newbie doing a stereo upgrade!

I agree with you, $2500 is way out there for how I use my stereo.

Crutchfield is running a sale on infinity reference speakers, so I may pick some up for about $225.

Also, after doing some reading, B-Quiet Extreme seems to be a nice lower cost alternate to Dynamat (50ft * 1ft roll for $129).

I will check out the HU you mentioned... still thinking about keeping the HU stock for now.... which means I need to bypass my factory amp... still not very clear if I need a line pickup or tap into the speaker wires..,etc,... still looking at about $300 for a decent amp, and $40 for an amp wire kit.

I will probably be into it for about $1000 after every thing is said and done, but looking forward to it!

Thanks!,

Moises

·
Registered
24 Posts
crutchfield is also having a good sale on polk audio. Buy one set and get 20% or buy 2 and get the second set for half off. You may want to check out the apline v power amps. what i have read is they through some decent power for not alot of $$$ and there small.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After doing some "Ear" Testing of Infinities, Kappas, Fosgates, Sony's and Pioneers at Best buy, the Pioneers got the nod. Further testing at a local installer, pitting the JL's and Pioneer Kevlars, the Pioneers won again... most importantly, my girlfriend was doing the testing with me, and Pioneer came out ahead every time.

I just ordered some off Amazon, Kevlar components for the front, and two ways for the back, 6.5"'s. I've also ordered an ipod adapter, and will just put those in for now.

Monday I'll order some b-quiet extreme and an amp wire kit, and prewire the car until I figure out what amp to get. Alpine PDX-5 seems the one to get.. but I'll check the lower priced Alpine amps too.

Thanks for your responses!, we'll get some pics up as soon as the work begins.

Moises

·
Registered
519 Posts
You don't need a cap if you have a problem with a voltage drop because of your system get a Batt Cap,Kinetic,or the like in a small battery that will supply amperage very fast.
I don't think your going to have a problem as long as you have a good battery & alternator unless you want to play your system without the motor running for long periods of time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
more than 1 shop i have talked to has told me that putting a w3 in the stock enclosure isn't a good idea, they said the stock enclosure is too weak to even handle a properly power 6.5 w3 and that the air space isnt enough so you arent going to get the "good" results you are paying for with that speaker/sub. IDK though, I havent heard one with an aftermarket sub in the stock enclosure yet and I am leaning toward having a custom box made in the stock location for an 8".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, the one shop recommended only the a 8W1... saying the W3 would be a tad too much for the stock enclosure.

Installing the speakers today... we'll see how it goes!

M

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good luck man. I for one, want to know how it goes.

... I'm building my path to stereo superiority too. You've got some well laid plans.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the first snags are here...

I first installed my USA Spec Ipod adapter. Disconnected the battery, pulled the radio cover, installed everything per the instructions, checked it, and worked perfect.

I went ahead secured the ipod adaptor above the glove box, seated the radio, and BAM... it's dead. No security system light, nothing... I reseated everything, checked the radio fuse, disconnected the battery, reconnected it... nothing.. I removed all the ipod adaptor cables, tried again nothing...

and I also have a check engine light... what in the world????.. at least the car starts...

Any suggestions out there?.. I do not have an OBDCII reader either... this may mean a trip to the dealership...

All main speakers are in, the fronts will require a grill, they are 6 and 3-4' and will not fit flush... looking at installing the tweets tonight.

Included are a couple pics.

After I get the head unit working again I will install crossovers, and start doing some dynamating... hopefully...

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, I am keeping the HU, will be bypassing the stock AMP and installing an Alpine PDX-5 : )

I did check 7, and 8. I rechecked them with all the others... they all look ok. : (

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dead Radio and Alarm System!, Help!

Well, rechecked everything this morning. No blown fuses, radio is dead, alarm system doesn't work either... any ideas?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Well, rechecked everything this morning. No blown fuses, radio is dead, alarm system doesn't work either... any ideas?
When you say 'alarm system' are you talking about the keyless entry, factory alarm or aftermarket alarm? Do the door locks, windows, and accessory outlet work? Dome lights ok?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Head Unit is dead, so is the OEM alarm system, and the keyless entry.

12v front socket, windows, a/c, power locks work fine.

M

·
Registered
756 Posts
Check out the link below for sound deadening material. It is as good or better than Dynamat and cheaper! Rick the owner has done group buys here on the board. he is super nice and has great customer service.

Also, you may want to try installing the tweeters right above the mids on the doors. A few people here on the boards, including myself have installed them there and have had great results.

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=pr

John

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
John,

Thanks for the tip on Rammat, but I already purchased a roll of B-Quiet. Actually started doing the bottom of my hood.

The picture of the tweeters was to illustrate the difference in size between the stock and the new pioneers. I will put the post the pic of the installed pioneers shortly.

My front speaker, were advertised as 6.5" - 6 3/4" , and the will not fit without a 1/2" adapter ring. I can not close the stock grill with the new speakers in, and really would like to keep the stock look (i.e. no round black grills)... any suggestions?.. returning the speakers is not much of an option since they are components and the tweets are already in...

Thanks in advance,

Moises

1 - 20 of 30 Posts